Contributor

Re: Need recommendations for a new washing machine

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Lady Chat 

I just bought one about a month ago.

First I looked to see what they had available in store online at Lowe's since it's the only place they had any in stock. The other place only had a few I did not want.

I have had Whirlpool or Kenmore. I read reviews on those & decided I did not want one of those. I started reading other reviews. After reading them I was not sure what to try.

Reviews listed said machines have water sensors & don't cover the clothes with water, some poured water on the clothes so they weigh more before starting wash, clothes don't get clean, the clothes get wrinkled from the spin cycle, the agitator in some tear your clothes up.

I decided to buy a Samsung top loader, impeller, no agitator 4.3 cu ft. It has turn knob for cycles with electronic display for the rest. It has a see thru lid so I have been able to watch it.

I use the high water level on most loads so it does cover the clothes. Our clothes don't get really dirty so have not had any problems cleaning our clothes. I do treat stains which I guess some people don't think you should have to do?

The only problem I have is washing a lightweight blanket it spins it into a ball so I have to go pause to move around so it will not be out of balance. Did not do that with heavier blanket.

Thanks for responding!  The  washing machine I have presently is a Kemore, non agitator.  In the beginning I just loved it, especially all the space in the basin, was just great for towels and blankets and bedspreads.  But after about a year, I started having trouble with it malfunctioning.  It seems like I was always calling Sears for one thing or another.   It is only 4 years old.  Personally I think I got stuck with a lemon.  When it was working well,  I  really felt it did a good job.  Now it's no longer functioning, and must be replaced.   I wanted to get some feedback, because i wanted to see  other peoples experiences with agitators versus non agitators.  I know  i would really miss the space it provided, and when it was working, it cleaned very well.   I guess I'm wondering if other brands without the gigators have functioned better than mine, or if I should switch back to a machine with an agitator.  It's also true that machines with agitators can do damage to clothing.  So I'm just trying to figure out what's best to do.    So thank you for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lady Chat 

All of t washing machines that I have had in my 50 years have had agitators, and none of them have ever damaged any clothing.

Not even once.

If I were buying a new washer, I would go with a basic model.

Less of chance of something going wrong.

Sure, bells and whistles are nice, until one of those bells and whistles breaks, then you're looking at $$$$ to get it fixed.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I have LG stacking washing machine and dryer.  Love them!  Very dependable.  I have front load washer which I never had before.  The only drawback with front loaders is you have to dry them down after use.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I've had both top-loader and front-loader - I prefer the top-loader.  I had Whirlpool washers that lasted almost 20 years with few repairs needed. 

Last year I bought a Samsung top-loader and it's a lemon.  Plus, Samsung's customer service is non-existent.  Their warranty is worthless.  Never again!    When I buy another washer, it will be a Whirlpool.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Whirlpool top loaders, still my preference.  For less expensive models Hotpoint by GE is a great choice, not many bells and whistles, but good performance. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Left my old Whirlpool top loader behind for my renters; she called me this morning and said "THANK YOU! OMG THE CLOTHES AND TOWELS ARE SO CLEAN NOW!!"  Yep, they had been using a front loading washer without agitator at their old house (which THEY left behind for the new owners, lol). She asked me if my model could still be purchased and I said I had no idea, it's 20 something years old and was left there by the woman we purchased the house from. I told her about Speed Queen because that's what we'll by when we move out of a rental into our own home (our rental is a front loader, no agitator and I have to wash everything twice to get it clean and to removed all the detergent).

I'll pass the info about Maytag on to her.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Super Contributor

@Lady Chat Speed Queen commercial. The best investment we have ever made. They are very pricey, but worth every cent. Your local appliance store is the best place to find them.

Super Contributor

I'm waiting for my washing machine to die...I want a Speed Queen!

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Lady Chat 

All of t washing machines that I have had in my 50 years have had agitators, and none of them have ever damaged any clothing.

Not even once.

If I were buying a new washer, I would go with a basic model.

Less of chance of something going wrong.

This.

I need a new washer and dryer, but will only buy the basic as if something goes wrong with the electric board or any of the other extras that are now offered with the newer models, then it needs to be repaired.  

Also, budget friendly.  If the appliances don't last as long as they used to, then I've not spent more than $2k on the pair and it won't be so frustrating that it doesn't work anymore.   

Honored Contributor

After what I read and hear people say about front loader washing machines it makes me never want one.