Contributor

Need recommendations for a new washing machine

I prefer a top loader,  but am wondering about washing machines with  agitators versus non agitators. Does one clean better than the other? Are the ones with agitators harder on clothing?  I know ones without an agitator leave more room for blankets and heavier items.  Are there any particular brand of washing machines you prefer?  Any help you can give me, would be so appreciated.  My machine just died and I want to buy another as quickly as possible.  Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need recommendations for a new washing machine

[ Edited ]

Speed Queen re-release of their older model, prior to and including the 2017 model.  They stopped making this model in 2018.  Customers were very upset, so they brought it back in 2019.  You need to ask for it because SQ is still making the 2018 version many customers didn't like.  Made in the United States.  Can only be purchased in dealer appliance stores.  Look for the 2020 version.

Maytag Commercial model of their old machine that lasted 20+ years.  Remember the "Maytag Repair Man" commercials years ago.  This is the version.  It's made in United States in their factory making washing machines for laundromats, so made to last.  Only sold in dealer appliance stores.  Look for the 2020 version.  

Both are top loaders with agitators and very good warranties.  Neither one has a lot of bells and whistles that could cause problems.  They are pretty bare, but offer everything we need to get very clean clothes.  

Honored Contributor

purchased a pair of speed queens two years ago......love them AND they have a 7 year warranty. expensive, but worth it, plus you can change the water level as you wish. also very quiet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I've had a GE 4.5-cu ft High Efficiency Top-Load Washer, model #GTW465ASNWW for several months. It has lots of options, and plenty of room in the basket.

I've been using nothing but top loaders with agitators for at least 50 years, and have never had problems with them being hard on clothes.

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen has an excellent reputation with the top load and agitator model TC5.  They use commercial grade parts and offer a warranty. This washer costs over $1000.00, so it is not a budget purchase.

DH only wants an agitator because he believes clothes come out cleaner.  We only want top load because side load have mold problems. 

We just ordered this Speed Queen model  from our local appliance store and we were told our wait could be as long as two months as the factory (made in USA) is producing fewer due to covid restrictions.

If you want something fast and more low budget, you could contact local big box stores like Home Depot and Loews and see what they have in stock.  They do not carry Speed Queen.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an about 9-10 year old Maytag Bravos toploader without an agitator & when it dies, I'm going back to a model with a regular agitator.  It does fine for my clothes & lighter items, but for large heavier things like sheets & towels, the stuff goes across the top of the little dimple thing (impeller?) in the bottom.  Sometimes, it goes out of balance & I have to stop the washer & take things out & put them back in a balanced fashion like when I started the load.  Other times, I open the washer after a load & a sheet is stretched across the drum like a literal drum.

Honored Contributor

Depending on where you live, replacing an appliance may be more of an issue than you expect.   Finding a washer period, may be the challenge.   

I am in WV.   My 20 year old dryer died in August, and I got one of two dryers in stock in this town!   The store I deal with, is shut down temporarily because they cannot get shipments of any type of merchandise right now; no appliances, no mattresses, no furniture.  

Contributor

Thank you!

Contributor

thank yu!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lady Chat 

I just bought one about a month ago.

First I looked to see what they had available in store online at Lowe's since it's the only place they had any in stock. The other place only had a few I did not want.

I have had Whirlpool or Kenmore. I read reviews on those & decided I did not want one of those. I started reading other reviews. After reading them I was not sure what to try.

Reviews listed said machines have water sensors & don't cover the clothes with water, some poured water on the clothes so they weigh more before starting wash, clothes don't get clean, the clothes get wrinkled from the spin cycle, the agitator in some tear your clothes up.

I decided to buy a Samsung top loader, impeller, no agitator 4.3 cu ft. It has turn knob for cycles with electronic display for the rest. It has a see thru lid so I have been able to watch it.

I use the high water level on most loads so it does cover the clothes. Our clothes don't get really dirty so have not had any problems cleaning our clothes. I do treat stains which I guess some people don't think you should have to do?

The only problem I have is washing a lightweight blanket it spins it into a ball so I have to go pause to move around so it will not be out of balance. Did not do that with heavier blanket.

New washing machines should not be more work. Don't know what washing machine manufacturers are thinking.

They say they only last 8-15 yrs now???

Good lucking finding the right machine.

I think you should read some reviews on model you like before buying it.

The first one I found I wanted would not be in stock until Jan. This may or may not be an issue where you live?

I had to wait a couple weeks for delivery.