Respected Contributor

Need rec for carbon monoxide detector: plug-in or battery

I've never had one before.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need rec for carbon monoxide detector: plug-in or battery

[ Edited ]

We use the simple plug in kind that you can get at Home Depot, Lowe's , Walmart, etc. digital. It plugs in and has a battery backup. Kidde Nighthawk is the brand we have. We have one downstairs and upstairs. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Personally I'd have both.  This is an issue that will kill you with NO warning whatsoever. Be safe.  Err of the side of caution.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what ours looks like. Plug in and has a 9 volt battery backup 

I'm not affiliated with this company.  You just have to pick the one that makes you feel comfortable. I wanted plug in, battery backup and a digital readout. So we went with this one. 

7D960E72-5758-48B1-B513-6F13398C423E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

We don't have a need for them in our home, but we own two RV's that need them and both have battery charged models. We like them because they can be placed higher on the wall or ceilings where they are most effective

Plug in models can only be placed where you have electric plugs..which is usually closer to the floor and they often cannot be placed where you need them...like in the hallway outside of the bedroom area, because there are no plugs available there.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

We don't have a need for them in our home, but we own two RV's that need them and both have battery charged models. We like them because they can be placed higher on the wall or ceilings where they are most effective

Plug in models can only be placed where you have electric plugs..which is usually closer to the floor and they often cannot be placed where you need them...like in the hallway outside of the bedroom area, because there are no plugs available there.

We have outlets in the hall outside the upstairs bedrooms. Just depends on what your house has. That's where our upstairs detector is plugged in. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   Do you have outlets high on the wall or closer to the floor?  It is recommended to place them around five feet from the floor for the best results.

Also at the top of the basement stairs.  I suppose If your home has outlets there, you could use plug ins.  My home only has outlets lower on the wall. They are not high enough for CM detectors.

We don't use fossil fuels in our home, so we don't need them.  Our RV's both have gas for cooking and heating, so it is important to have them in there.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the information everyone. My furnace is old and still running, but I want to stay safe until I replace it.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

This is what ours looks like. Plug in and has a 9 volt battery backup 

I'm not affiliated with this company.  You just have to pick the one that makes you feel comfortable. I wanted plug in, battery backup and a digital readout. So we went with this one. 

7D960E72-5758-48B1-B513-6F13398C423E.jpeg

This is a nice unit, but too heavy to hang on a wall. You need a unit on each level of your home.

Respected Contributor

I also have a Kidde Nighthawk but in addition to carbon monoxide it also detects explosive gases. We have a gas stove and gas fireplace and I wanted something to detect a gas leak too.