Honored Contributor

Re: Need info on who will pay the dr bills for my granddaughter who got hit by a car

Your son shouldn’t be responsible for any medical bills concerning this accident. If the driver’s insurance company won’t pay the driver should. The driver should pay and be thankful if your son isn’t suing her.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need info on who will pay the dr bills for my granddaughter who got hit by a car

@Ditzydori wrote:
First let me say that thank goodness she’s physically ok. She was walking home from school and a car jumped the curb, went on the sidewalk and hit her. She got so scared and traumatized. (She’s 15). People called an ambulance and she was taken to the hospital. After. Xrays they discharged her deeming her ok, just bruised.

The woman who hit her did stay around and told the police her car just went out of control. Not sure how accurate that is. Maybe she confused the pedals because she was parking, not driving in the street. Anyway things happen and I’m so grateful my granddaughter is ok and a bit calmer now. She got so scared, my sweet girl.

So my son got the police report today, and called her insurance to cover the medical costs. Well she has insurance from the government and it doesn’t cover this.

So now what should be done? He called his insurance and they are looking into it. He will have to pay the deductible and hopefully it’s a no fault so his insurance won’t go up.

Is this the right course of action? I never heard of car insurance from the government. Medical, yes. But not car. Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks

First of all, I'm so glad to hear your granddaughter is okay. 

A very good friend of mine got hit by a car while crossing a street during her lunch break (she's a nurse at a hospital).  She was walking and the car came up behind her.  She was very seriously injured.  Was intubated, chest tubes, had major surgery (maybe 2) to her lungs and arm.  Went to rehab afterwards.  She's in her mid 60's and ended up taking an early retirement because of the accident.  Beilieve it or not, her lawyer and the lawyer of the lady who hit her, said they were both at fault (50/50).  I don't know how they can come up with that, my friend is certain she had the green light.  Anyway, she had told me that her car insurance company was going after the lady's car insurance company for medical bills since it was a car accident (even though my friend was walking).  I've never learned of the outcome of this because it still upsets her to speak about it.  I would get copy of police report and seek legal advice.  A lawyer will be best at advising further.

Honored Contributor

The driver must carry liability insurance....I wonder why someone didn't call 911when this happened. I am glad your granddaughter is okay, but your son should not have to pay for anything including his deductible....the driver's insurance should reimburse for all. She hit a child while driving her car....end of discussion.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, @Ditzydori, but @Equuleus reply wasn't nasty at all, she simply stated that no one here can give legal advice. You specifically asked for information on who will be responsible for the bills from your granddaughter being hit by a car. No one here knows what type of coverage the driver has, nor do we know what's in the police report - or what the insurance company has already found out. The normal process is to turn it over to your insurance agent and let them pursue it. If legal advice/action is needed, then that's what should be considered. Why in the heck would you come here asking for legal advice?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me that those that post here  sometimes get  snarky remarks when a question is asked or post an issue that is happening in their lives.

....I don't come here to get FIRM legal, medical, etc advice.  I come here to ask questions, vent, learn, chat, etc.... I don't think those of us that post are expecting public forums to solve our problems...we are just connecting with others and need to vent at times, or just post what is happening in our lives.

Agree. I often wonder if this is how some of these posters talk to the people in their real lives. Such rudeness. 

I would let your sons insurance handle it and talk to the ladies insurance. Since she was hit on the sidewalk it is most certainly seem the drivers fault. Your sons insurance company will let him know if he gets to the point where a personal injury lawyer is needed. They don't require money upfront but work on a contingency fee.

I am so sorry to hear your granddaughter went through that. That must of been scary and I am glad she wasn't seriously injured. I am sure you were upset just hearing about it. HeartHeart

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Ditzydori wrote:
Omg. No need for that nasty reply!! Equuleus. He is handling it for gods sake. Did you have a bad day? If so no need to come on here and answer the way you did. Get a life.

The first thing I want to say is thank God your granddaughter is okay.  My Lindsay is 15 too.  Secondly, the insurance company  will have to go after the woman who drove the car.  Thirdly, Equuleus is new on the boards, hopefully she or he will learn to be nice to people, being nasty doesn't cut it.  Sadly, we need to have to a thick skin around here and learn to ignore the nasty ones, it isn't easy.  Good luck to you and the family.  Let us know how it all comes out. Heart

@Lindsays Grandma  Of course Equuleus could be an old poster who is back in a new nickname. . . It has happend before.  And before.  And before!  LOL!!!!

Super Contributor

Thanks so much ladies once again for your very kind and informative replies.
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter  What you've printed in red is not true?  Really?  What would you expect the driver's insurance company to say to a potential claimant?  That's why you have an insurance company, maybe a local agent and ultimately lawyers to sort it out.  Turn the matter over to them to handle.  That's what you pay for when you buy any kind of insurance.

Respected Contributor

Probably your best advice is to start with your auto insurance company.  I'm not sure medical insurance is as apt to go after the other company for reimbursement.

I was hit in the side by a woman exiting a shopping center without looking or stopping.  (Thankfully, a police officer was right behind me so there was no question of whose fault it was.)

I went to the doctor and my insurance was uninterested in her insurance information.  Thankfully I had no deductible at the time, but I was still bothered by their lack of concern for being reimbursed.

I did contact her insurance company to find out how they wanted me to handle getting a rental car.  They were very nasty to me on the phone.  So I went through my own auto insurance.  Once her insurance company got the police report, they contacted me and couldn't have been nicer - tried to get me to tell them how I was doing medically.  I told them to contact my insurance comapny.  Bottom line, I was OK - although in pain for a couple of weeks (could not take the muscle relaxant the doctor prescribed as I had a reaction to it), but her insurance paid for my rental and fixing my car so it worked out.

I'm sorry your granddaughter went through this.  It must have been terrifying.  She may also need counseling.  I don't understand how any liability auto insurance would not cover medical care, but if it's government insurance, I am not surprised.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Sorry, @Ditzydori, but @Equuleus reply wasn't nasty at all, she simply stated that no one here can give legal advice. You specifically asked for information on who will be responsible for the bills from your granddaughter being hit by a car. No one here knows what type of coverage the driver has, nor do we know what's in the police report - or what the insurance company has already found out. The normal process is to turn it over to your insurance agent and let them pursue it. If legal advice/action is needed, then that's what should be considered. Why in the heck would you come here asking for legal advice?

@jannabelle1  It was ok for @Ditzydori  to share her story but once she asked the question as to what is the right action to take she stepped into asking for advice.

Even the thread title asked for info on who will pay the bills.

We all are glad her gd is ok but @Equuleus didn't say anything that hasn't been said on other threads by other posters at other times.

@The assumption that @Equuleus is another poster or a nasty person was out of line. In fact, her post was hearted by several others.

If posters think she was out of line, check out the Wellness forum.  For sure you will see "don't ask here ask your doctor" over and over and over again.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh