Super Contributor

Need info on who will pay the dr bills for my granddaughter who got hit by a car

First let me say that thank goodness she’s physically ok. She was walking home from school and a car jumped the curb, went on the sidewalk and hit her. She got so scared and traumatized. (She’s 15). People called an ambulance and she was taken to the hospital. After. Xrays they discharged her deeming her ok, just bruised.

The woman who hit her did stay around and told the police her car just went out of control. Not sure how accurate that is. Maybe she confused the pedals because she was parking, not driving in the street. Anyway things happen and I’m so grateful my granddaughter is ok and a bit calmer now. She got so scared, my sweet girl.

So my son got the police report today, and called her insurance to cover the medical costs. Well she has insurance from the government and it doesn’t cover this.

So now what should be done? He called his insurance and they are looking into it. He will have to pay the deductible and hopefully it’s a no fault so his insurance won’t go up.

Is this the right course of action? I never heard of car insurance from the government. Medical, yes. But not car. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Need info on who will pay the dr bills for my granddaughter who got hit by a car

[ Edited ]

I'd get a lawyer if can't afford one get whatever U call those people that handle cases for the folk who can't afford a lawyer.  (Legal aid)

Woman might had been drinking, must just be an older person.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need info on who will pay the dr bills for my granddaughter who got hit by a car

the driver and the owner of the car should be responsible, but it is always good to get in touch with your insurance company and report it. they can go after the driver and owner of the car. it may also be necessary to get a lawyer.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Let your son and his insurance company handle it or he should get an attorney.  I wouldn't come here asking for how to handle it. 

Honored Contributor

Your son needs guidance thru an attorney with this one.  

His insurance will have to cover her hospital costs, then he will likely have to sue the driver in order to get reimbursement for his insurance company, plus any additional compensation for your granddaughters pain and suffering.    

Super Contributor

Omg. No need for that nasty reply!! Equuleus. He is handling it for gods sake. Did you have a bad day? If so no need to come on here and answer the way you did. Get a life.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori,

I just Google’d government auto insurance, and found information I wasn’t aware of about this subject.   

I am glad your granddaughter is okay.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Ditzydori  Your son's insurance agent will handle this. He will work with the Government Insurance and the woman. Everything will be fine. This isn't your problem; nor is it our business. Glad your granddaughter is fine.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I (as a pedestrian) was hit by a car.    There should be a police report.   Your son or attorney will be able to obtain a copy of that to establish liability.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

The driver's insurance doesn't provide liability coverage?

In most states, in order to get a driver's license, you need to show proof of auto liability insurance.

The driver's liability insurance would provide coverage for reimbursement of medical expenses and in a non no fault state, compensation for pain and suffering etc. Liability insurance doesn't pay the bills as they are incurred. They make a one time settlement with the injured person.

If the girl's father has medical payments coverage on his own auto policy, he can also submit the bills there. There is usually no deductible for this coverage. Your own medical payments coverage covers you and family members as a pedestrian. If the driver really has no liability insurance, the father can make an uninsured motorist claim under his own policy. That covers you as a pedestrian also.