Contributor

Need ideas on how to celebrate my 40th birthday. Please help me, Im going beserk over this

I'm going to be 40 yrs old on October 6th.

My origional goal that I had been working on for the last year was to spend my 40th birthday in Scotland. I never go anywhere or do anything, and this was my big fat dream.

Well, that dream got crushed because:

1) Noone will go with me. No-one. Not a sibling, neither of my parents, OR my boyfriend of the last 6 years. Going alone would just be too depressing for me, so Ive ruled it out. My best friend would possibly go, but we're both temporarily laid off, so financially, she cannot...

I was thinking of going somewhere else with my boyfriend where we can drive to- Salem, MA, Glouster MA or even Nova Scotia- but these places are just as costly as me going to Scotland (sans the plane ticket) so I cant justify it. I'd rather spend that money in the UK than MA. Its just not special enough....

I just am at a loss of what to do. I live in Upstate, NY- my family lives 3-4 hrs. away in NYC.

I was thinking of throwing a theme party (western), but its alot of work and expense for me to throw a really cool and different party- I dunno- seems like more stress than fun

Im so depressed over this. I DO NOT want to wind up sitting in the local Italian restaurant with my boyfriend for my 40th birthday. I never do anything special- we dont vacation, or do anything out of the ordinary & I had dreamed this would be the ONE time I would do something extravagant but WHAT? I dont know

Sorry to be so whaaa over this, but for some reason, Im just stressing out over this. Its dragging me down.

Has anyone done anything really cool or been to anything they really enjoyed they can recommend for me?? I want to go into 40 happy, not depressed!!!!