Super Contributor

Re: Need help with trip to England

Hi shoekitty,

I was born in England and still have relatives over there. Suffolk is a beautiful area and how fun that you will be spending a night in the castle. You didn't say what time of day the wedding is taking place, but since they are following formal tradition, I would say a hat is definitely in order. Unless they expect black-tie formal, a skirt or nice summer dress would be appropriate, but I wouldn't wear dress pants or a pantsuit. They should indicate on the invitation what kind of attire they are requesting, but certainly I would discuss it with your friend. As for the weather, you never know what to expect in England that time of year...it could be a lovely, balmy day or it could be gray and rainy. The typical weather is nice but mild, but they've been known to have hot days. I'm truly envious in a good way, it's been a few years since I was back there. I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy yourself. The countryside villages are so quaint, and London is quite the city. Wishing you safe travels.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I am not sure what time of day it is yet, but I do know it is "posh". I am thinking like 1 in the afternoon? But they did say something about dinner, so...I do know they have the castle for 2 or 3 days. I think there will be some people from the states, but the majority will be from Britain. My girlfriend has no living family, and her husband is small now. There are 2 daughters, one is going to be the bride. So I imagine it will be friends and the husbands relatives coming from the states.

I do know we need a hat, that is a given. But where in the heck do you find hats today? Neiman's and Nordies quit selling the fancy hats, they just have fedoras, straw sun hats and such. There is Louise Green or Victorian Trading Co, but is there another hat place?

Clothes are so hard. Everything I find is sleeveless. I am 68, and arms are not my strong point...no sleeveless for me.

Alexis Spencer used to have dresses and skirt I loved and would be perfect. They went out of business!

If anyone has dress shop suggestions let me know.

Honored Contributor

justjules

I have been to England, Scotland and Wales,,but way back in 1986! It just took my breath away. I really liked Wales too. My friend's daughter left for England about 9 year ago. She left to do hair in London. She fell in love with the country, and couldn't leave. She gave up her big townhome in California for a small flat, and her porshe boxster for the tube. She walks everywhere or takes the tube or a train. She likes that she can travel from there cheaply. To France, and such.

Do women wear pants in England very much? I see more skirts and dresses than pants.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi shoekitty. Do you have a Dillards?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Bette

I will look online at Dillard's. I do like the silverish outfit you posted. No we don't have a Dillard's sadly! I live in a small town and have to travel over an hour to get to a good mall. We have tons of outlets here, but there is never anything at the outlets...just small things or handbags! I would want a dress or skirt mid calf length. I prefer 3/4 or long sleeves.

Because of my arthritis, I cannot wear a heel of any kind. Shoes were my life, as my nic name implies. Because I cannot wear a heel of sorts, certain dresses and such do not look good. It is hard. Also, since I retired 10 years ago, my clothes are comfort oriented. I worked in a museum and dressed up all the time. Those days are gone. Sniff. Neon Buddha, XCVI and Logo have become my friend.LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/28/2015 shoekitty said:

Bette

I will look online at Dillard's. I do like the silverish outfit you posted. No we don't have a Dillard's sadly! I live in a small town and have to travel over an hour to get to a good mall. We have tons of outlets here, but there is never anything at the outlets...just small things or handbags! I would want a dress or skirt mid calf length. I prefer 3/4 or long sleeves.

Because of my arthritis, I cannot wear a heel of any kind. Shoes were my life, as my nic name implies. Because I cannot wear a heel of sorts, certain dresses and such do not look good. It is hard. Also, since I retired 10 years ago, my clothes are comfort oriented. I worked in a museum and dressed up all the time. Those days are gone. Sniff. Neon Buddha, XCVI and Logo have become my friend.LOL!

I'm the same way. I used to wear some heels back in the day. My back won't let me do that anymore.

I was throwing out some examples of stuff that had some sleeve. I understand that too. No sleeveless for me.

Tomorrow Dillards has take an extra 30% off already reduced prices.Smile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

You maybe able to find hats at local boutiques. My hair salon has a small accessories area and they sell fascinators there. Do bridal shops still sell hats for bridesmaids? If the wedding is in the evening a long dress may be more appropriate. Have you talked to your friend about your fashion questions?

Super Contributor

Evening weddings aren't a thing in England like they are here. There will no doubt be an evening reception, but I would expect the actual ceremony to be in the daytime.

Honored Contributor

I'm afraid I have nothing to offer in the fashion arena, as I don't even own a dress at this point in time in my life.

I do hope you have a wonderful time, and if I may be of any assistance by sneaking into your suitcase and stowing away for the trip, just let me know, I'd be glad to help out in that way! LOL

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your help! If any of you happen to see hats galore somewhere , dig up this thread and let me know. I would appreciate it.

When my knee heals a bit I will take a trip to the "big city" and try this big, popular bridal salon. They might have dresses or hats?

I haven't dressed up for at least 13 years. Boy, have things changed!