Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Need help with trip to England

You got me wondering so I googled around a bit and found a forum at trip advisor with answers. The one unanimous thing seemed to be "Do not wear black". If you feel you must wear your favorite little black dress, then be sure to accent it with a jacket, pashmina, or shawl in a bright vibrant color. A longer black skirt paired with a bright top is also acceptable. Also do not wear white or cream

I think if I were going and I'm in your age bracket, I would opt for a Downton Abbey vintage look. The hats and gowns are simple but elegant and they wore "sensible shoes". Mid-calf to ankle length dress with jacket or shawl. Felt Cloche hat. Something like this but not cream colored.

Honored Contributor

linders!

I love the picture, and I love the hats on each side. The center hat on Mary is not my style, but it is great on her.. I would love vintage style outfit.

I didn't know about black. But stands to reason. Up until 10 years ago it was not acceptable here. Most other countries follow traditional protocol more than we do. I love black!

Honored Contributor

Shoekitty,

You might find something here:

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/category/womens-hats.html

Respected Contributor

so, I was curious and started googling.

I looked up David's Bridal because it is online and in stores.

They have this fascinator hat that comes in cream and white. Not sure if it is too bridal or not.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_horsehair-fascinator-hat-vh8300

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor
Super Contributor

On 1/28/2015 shoekitty said:

justjules

I have been to England, Scotland and Wales,,but way back in 1986! It just took my breath away. I really liked Wales too. My friend's daughter left for England about 9 year ago. She left to do hair in London. She fell in love with the country, and couldn't leave. She gave up her big townhome in California for a small flat, and her porshe boxster for the tube. She walks everywhere or takes the tube or a train. She likes that she can travel from there cheaply. To France, and such.

Do women wear pants in England very much? I see more skirts and dresses than pants.

shoekitty, It's lovely that you get to go back, and yes Scotland and Wales are gorgeous too. My heritage is Scottish so I'm partial. England is easy to fall in love with, I miss lots of things about it and would be happy living there again, but it's so terribly expensive. London is probably my favorite city, so much history, but people seem to love it or hate it. Most people that have to travel into London take the train or tube since it is so busy and parking costs a small fortune. It is an easy city to walk around with so many tube stations.

Many women wear pants, especially in the work place, but I think it's also a generational thing. When my mother was a young woman there during during WWII ladies just didn't wear pants, and even though families were on rations and struggling they always made an effort to look their best.

I know it's difficult to find hats here, which is unfortunate. I love hats and think some of them are so pretty. You could wait and get a hat in England, but I don't know if you have time to go shopping before the wedding. Since the wedding is not until late summer, I'm sure you'll be able to find something, especially around Easter time when it seems our stores sell more hats. I would find the dress or outfit you want to wear first before selecting a hat. Again, I hope you have a lovely time and perhaps get to enjoy more sights that you did your last time over there. The wedding sounds like it will be one to remember.

Frequent Contributor

Shoekitty: First, What Fun! How lucky you are to be attending this event.

Second, determine the time of day of the ceremony and the other events. That will give you a starting point. Also, will the ceremony be in a church? Makes a difference.

Third, you are not the only woman to be limited to flats. No one expects anyone other than J Lo or Kim K to be rocking stilettos. Wear what you like and what you can walk in; it's not a fashion show. Summer can be great for flat strappy shoes.

Fourth, if you want to wear a fancy hat, go for it! When else would you ever be able do it? Be sure to try on in person, not order online. If you are going to make a trip of this event, go early and buy your hat in London. That would be a great souvenir!

Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2015 lolakimono said:

Shoekitty,

You might find something here:

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/category/womens-hats.html

OMG, cute

I saw a cloche I want for now! Thanks, never heard of this place. Looks like nice quality too!

Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2015 coldlake said:

Shoekitty: First, What Fun! How lucky you are to be attending this event.

Second, determine the time of day of the ceremony and the other events. That will give you a starting point. Also, will the ceremony be in a church? Makes a difference.

Third, you are not the only woman to be limited to flats. No one expects anyone other than J Lo or Kim K to be rocking stilettos. Wear what you like and what you can walk in; it's not a fashion show. Summer can be great for flat strappy shoes.

Fourth, if you want to wear a fancy hat, go for it! When else would you ever be able do it? Be sure to try on in person, not order online. If you are going to make a trip of this event, go early and buy your hat in London. That would be a great souvenir!

I was thinking of buying a hat in London, but I think I want to bring a "stand by". Just when I think where else could I get the perfect hat, they will be fresh out when I get there! LOL

I wear cute flats all the time, It is just sometimes there are some outfits that look funny with flats. I am 5ft 3 1/2" and the hemline and skirt have to be just right so I don't look dumpy. LOL!

You are so right. It is all about the hat in England!