Honored Contributor

Need help with trip to England

My life long friend's daughter is getting married in England the end of August. They are in their late 30's and having a formal wedding. He is wearing a kilt!. The wedding is at a Castle in St. Edmonds, Suffolk, England.

My question is this, what is the weather like in that area the end of August and beginning of September? Also, my main question is ( I have yet to discuss this with her) what do you wear to a wedding in like this in England. Long dress/skirt, hat? I am clueless. We will be staying farther away in London maybe, and staying one night at the castle (night of wedding).

I am 68, and a pretty eclectic dresser, so I am sort of nervous. Because of certain issues I cannot wear heels, and I NEVER wear short dresses. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need help with trip to England

Hopefully, LynneUK will see this and answer. She is from England.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 Gooday said:

Hopefully, LynneUK will see this and answer. She is from England.

Thanks Gooday! I was thinking of her, but couldn't remember her exact name. Thanks again

Respected Contributor

I've been to England 3 times in September. Usually it's in the 60s during the day. You can find the average temps by doing a Google search. I would suspect the attire for a wedding is the same as here. The exception may be they wear a hat.

Esteemed Contributor

shoekitty, I am so envious! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I have a friend who is Scot but lives in Toronto. Love his kilt. Wink

Different plaids denote family history and lineage.

Do a search for "English Wedding Etiquette" I came up with a lot of sites to browse regarding etiquette, traditions and protocol.

Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 glb613 said:

I've been to England 3 times in September. Usually it's in the 60s during the day. You can find the average temps by doing a Google search. I would suspect the attire for a wedding is the same as here. The exception may be they wear a hat.

Thafor the info. I did google search but sometimes I have found the weather is off on charts from what it really is. LOL! We were in England in 1986, long time ago...I think they had "real" weather then, but we went in April.

Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 Snowpuppy said:

shoekitty, I am so envious! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I have a friend who is Scot but lives in Toronto. Love his kilt. Wink

Different plaids denote family history and lineage.

Do a search for "English Wedding Etiquette" I came up with a lot of sites to browse regarding etiquette, traditions and protocol.

I never thought of searching for English Wedding Etiquette!{#emotions_dlg.blushing} Geesh, talk about senior moments. I do know women don't wear pants to weddings like here. Or, so I have heard! Yes, the kilts should be fun. Her hubby to be is Scottish, and is really into the Scottish heritage. What I am excited to see is my girlfriend's husband (whom is our long time friend as well) is wearing a kilt too!

We have been talking about returning to visit England since we went in 1986! So this is an excuse to combine a trip.

I have some back and knee issues I am resolving, so I hope I am on the mend by then

Super Contributor

Are the families English? Will most of the guests be English or American? Is the wedding scheduled for the evening?

Super Contributor

I've been to England in June, in July, and in the first part of August in the three times I've been there. I've met up with all kinds of weather, all in the same trip. Once it was in the high 90's for a good four days in a row. Then it turned to torrential downpours and sweater weather. I'm used to unpredictable weather because I live in Seattle, but essentially I brought clothes for just about every situation. I've never been to an English wedding, so I can't say what to wear, but it DOES seem they like hats. I envy you this experience. London is my favorite place and I'd love to live there, if I could afford it. Have a wonderful time.

Valued Contributor

All I know is a hat is essential. People look at the hat more than the dress.