Occasional Contributor

Re: Need help with boxer puppy! Dog is digging up electric wires!

I'm wondering where your parents got this puppy? A 50 pound 5 month old boxer is huge!

I can't imagine a reputable breeder allowing a couple in their 70s to purchase a boxer puppy given the nature of the breed, the breeder would know up front this is a very bad match. And there are very few breeders, none that I would consider reputable, who release their puppies unaltered unless they are going to be used for breeding, and that is an entirely different process. I don't get that your parents are breeders.

Rescues and shelters never allow adoption of unaltered animals. They are spayed or neutered and chipped before being sent to their new forever homes, and in some again your parents wouldn't have been able to adopt this puppy because of the dog's needs and unfortunately your parents don't seem able to provide for them.

This puppy can't go to daycare unaltered.

No dog parks unaltered. (I've seen a few there, but it is "prohibited".)

I'm surprised puppy got into a class unaltered. That is often a requirement.

Professional dog walkers will often require that, too.

Veterinarians will explain the health benefits of spaying or neutering an animal, they sometimes have brochures.

Given your father's "stubbornness" to neuter this puppy, is it likely he'll take any advice regarding anything this young guy needs? They have the wrong dog, they cannot give him what he needs. It is unfair to do this, be it refusing the surgery, leaving him alone outside, not being able to properly train/control him, not being able to provide the exercise and stimulation he needs. And the bigger the dog gets, the longer this continues, the worse it will get.

Can you please try to appeal to your parents love of animals, and perhaps get them to surrender this dog to a safe rescue? This is bad, period.

It's been "one of those days" for like three years now...
Honored Contributor

Maybe a neighbor will call animal services, and, hopefully, they will go out there and have a talk with mom and dad. The dog is in danger, and as parents age, it could be dangerous for mom and dad, too. Lots of good advice here, and hopefully all will be well and safe. for all concerned.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I am really surprised by many of these responses.

No where is it said that these people are physically unable to care for this puppy. Many people in their 70's and 80's are very active. There is no reason to assume that they need to get rid of the puppy. Additional training, daycare or a dog walker may be enough to make the situation workable.

The puppy is to young to be neutered, he is only 5 months. Many vets are now recommending that large breed dogs delay the neutering till they are a year or two old. Growth plates need that long to close. Not sure where some are getting that intact dogs are not welcome in training classes, dog parks or daycare. I go to all of these places (in 2 different states) and have never seen that restriction.

Makeup addict, there have been some good responses i.e. exercise, daycare, training etc.. It comes down to your parents have a big puppy. Puppies do stupid things and need to be watched and trained. Hope you have found some suggestions that will help your parents.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Lots of over reaction here but I do believe the dog needs more supervision and more exercise.

Honored Contributor

I believe that O/P said somewhere that the large dog (I don't recall his weight, though) is a jumper, always jumping on her mom and dad. Sometimes that can be dangerous, unless mom and dad are of substantial height and strength. I'm thinking that more obedience training, fencing off (or covering with bricks) the electrical wires, etc. I'm mostly worried about the dog, but worrying about mom and dad, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I just looked. He is a 50 lb. puppy. That's a lot of weight, always jumping up on mom and dad. I'm guessing he will be heavier as he grows into adulthood.

Super Contributor

I haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but I feel your pain. I'm really interested in any advice or tips other posters give you. I also have a 1 year old pup that is part Labrador and part coal miner.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} She LOVES to dig, I swear I have a hole to China in my back yard. The problem hasn't been so bad recently because I keep her in the house while I'm at work during the day, but she is one curious dog. She isn't burying bones or treats, it seems she just digs for the sake of digging.

Respected Contributor

Hi, I'm still reading thru all the comments. Thank you for taking the time to post. Smiley Happy. First, please let me explain that my parents are in their mid 70's not their mid 90's. Maybe they are not typical for their age. Both work ut at the gym; Dad five days a week, trad ill and weights. mom three days a week, light weights, Zumba gold and Tai chi. Dad still hunts big game and deer. They grow their own veggies. They drove cross country last year to Montana and Wyoming. They are active and in shape. Mom is petite so im concerned puppy could knock her down. They bought the puppy from a couple who had boxer puppies for sale. We live in the country; you can buy dogs from dog owners not a puppymill or registered breeder. Parents saw the momma dog and the father along with the puppies. He is a big boy very tall. If someone can tell me how topost a pic here,i willpost a pic. Smiley Happy. Again hes tall; he can grab a loaf of bread from the kitchen counter. As far as leaving dogs outside by themselves: again we live in the country. Dogs are allowed to run and chase birds and rabbits and butterflies. With the exception of the one dog that was fixed, none of the male dogs ever went crazy when a female was in heat. They never tried to get out of the fenced in area. I did talk to them last night and today. They agreed puppy was bored. When I spoke with them today, there was a positive sign. While they did go out and play withhim, they admit it was too long byhimself and he was bored. Today they played with him and instead of leaving him outside, they continue the play inside. They realize when they would leave him outside for over 30 minutes, be would get excited and hyoer when he came in. They didnt do that today and he was calm and not destructive. He does have toys like a kong and other toys. I explained that boxers just want to be with their people. True for anypet really and that when he was left outside, it made him overly excited when he came in. I know its only been a day, but i think its a new day for them. Smiley Happy. Dad is not for getting him altered. He s adamant about that. The one dog that was fixed, the surgery was botched. Dog had urinary tract problems, multiple infections, and additinal surgeries as an attempt to fix the mistakes. Didnt work and dog died young. Smiley Sad he was also a boxer.
Honored Contributor

I don't think people here are overreacting at all. OP said herself that her parents are in their 70's and the dog is coming at them like a cannonball! She also said that she herself thought that this dog was too big for them. Yes. these problems are solvable but it will take lots of patience and work, confinement (as in dog cage) a leash, and 2 or three long walks with owner (which really bonds the dog to you and teaches him who alpha dog is).

Any dog lover would be concerned over this...one wrong bite on a cable and...zap..no more dog.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I believe that O/P said somewhere that the large dog (I don't recall his weight, though) is a jumper, always jumping on her mom and dad. Sometimes that can be dangerous, unless mom and dad are of substantial height and strength. I'm thinking that more obedience training, fencing off (or covering with bricks) the electrical wires, etc. I'm mostly worried about the dog, but worrying about mom and dad, too.

Thank yu for understanding. Dad is 6'2; mom has shrunk a little; shes 4'11. Around 120 lbs.