Super Contributor

Need help with American Mah Jongg for Beginners!

Thanks, in advance, to all of you who have any tips/tricks for learning how to play American Mah Jongg.

I am starting in a group and will have a one-on-one instructor. I have my Mah Jongg card. 

In preparation, I have been googling websites and watching YouTube videos. 

I would appreciate any insight you all have to offer! Heart

Occasional Contributor

Re: Need help with American Mah Jongg for Beginners!

You can create an account on myjongg dot net to play with robots until you feel comfortable to play live.  There are 8 free games a day or you can pay a fee to play all day if you like. 

There is very good instructions on using the site under the help tab in the app.   

Respected Contributor

Just play as much as you can. The computer games are great to practice and learn the card. I play on RealMahJongg.com. you can choose your speed of play, and whether or not you want to play against other people or the computer (bots). The most imprtant thing is to have fun with it.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@reiki604 @yyladybugyy 

Thank you for the website info! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I took a class from a woman who ended up starting a group where we would meet once a week (pre-pandemic).  I haven't played since early 2020 but the class of course helped a lot. 

I also purchased "A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win" on Amazon.  It's very helpful and easy to understand.  

The more you get a chance to play the better you'll become!