Honored Contributor

Re: Need help finding evaporated milk without carrageenan

While looking again, I've just found that Amazon's own brand, 365 evaporated milk, does not have carrageenan. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Horizon Organics is my favorite brand for heavy cream and milk. Unfortunately it is sometimes out of stock at my local market. Glad to hear Costco carries it.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  I looked on the Merryfield dot-com site but didn't see carrageenan on their banned ingredients list.  The site might be helpful to you though if you are trying to avoid certain ingredients.  Their list of approved products is limited but growing.

Honored Contributor

I knew it was a thickener but I just read that it comes from red sea weed. What are the health risks involved?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use this whole milk powder. Tastes really good. I use that in my coffee instead of non-dairy creamer which I prefer not to consume.

NESTLE NIDO Fortificada Dry Milk 56.4 Ounce Canister

@SilleeMee @Thanks for letting me know about this. I've been using it for a week. I make a 16 Oz. glass of it and add some instant coffee, Nescafé, to the milk. I don't even heat it up. So far, I've had very little stomach upset. I'll be buying more. It's a great option for storm ready products to keep on hand too. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Mindy D  Would canned organic coconut milk suit you?

@JeanLouiseFinch @I'm not sure how it would be in coffee or cereal. I would need a brand without carrageenan. 

My So Delicious Organic Coconut milk doesn't contain it.  I use it in my coffee and have given it to my grandkids (sometimes) in their cereal and they never noticed.  (lol)

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use this whole milk powder. Tastes really good. I use that in my coffee instead of non-dairy creamer which I prefer not to consume.

NESTLE NIDO Fortificada Dry Milk 56.4 Ounce Canister

@SilleeMee @Thanks for letting me know about this. I've been using it for a week. I make a 16 Oz. glass of it and add some instant coffee, Nescafé, to the milk. I don't even heat it up. So far, I've had very little stomach upset. I'll be buying more. It's a great option for storm ready products to keep on hand too. 

@Mindy D 

You're welcome @Mindy D .

I'm glad that you like it. I like to keep it on hand for emergencies, too. Plus since I don't drink milk, it will keep in my pantry without spoiling for a very long time.