Honored Contributor

Re: Need clever way to invite people to a gift card bridal shower

On 7/4/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 7/1/2014 occasional rain said:

So you want to have a bridal shower for a bride who won't be attending and those invited won't either. No get together, no refreshments, just an invitations to send money in the form of gift cards. Sounds lovely.

Did you READ the actual o/p....They are both active military and the bride can't make it.

Not at all unusual today. You plan a shower just like any shower where the bride is present. Her mom, her sister, a friend steps in to represent her in opening gifts. You have cake, balloons, food. You entertain and feed the guests! You make a video of the shower, you go table to table and let the guests express their best wishes. Sometimes the guest of honor Skypes even in. That's how you have a shower when the bride or mom to be can't be there physically. I suppose you can send a bag of assorted gift cards but that isn't celebrating a thing and it isn't a shower. It's sending money.

Honored Contributor

On 7/4/2014 chrystaltree said:

So you want to have a bridal shower for a bride who won't be attending and those invited won't either. No get together, no refreshments, just an invitations to send money in the form of gift cards. Sounds lovely.

Did you READ the actual o/p....They are both active military and the bride can't make it.

Not at all unusual today. You plan a shower just like any shower where the bride is present. Her mom, her sister, a friend steps in to represent her in opening gifts. You have cake, balloons, food. You entertain and feed the guests! You make a video of the shower, you go table to table and let the guests express their best wishes. Sometimes the guest of honor Skypes even in. That's how you have a shower when the bride or mom to be can't be there physically. I suppose you can send a bag of assorted gift cards but that isn't celebrating a thing and it isn't a shower. It's sending money.

Yeah, just because the bride can't be there doesn't mean you should not still have the party in her honor. When you are asking people to give gifts - esp. cash or it's equivalent the least you can do is give them a party.

Super Contributor

Honestly, I would just send what I could because I wanted to and not involve anyone else. Kind of tacky.

Super Contributor

On 7/4/2014 BonnieBelle said:

Honestly, I would just send what I could because I wanted to and not involve anyone else. Kind of tacky.

It's only three close female relatives, not everyone who's on Facebook. It's not tacky.

Honored Contributor

I did read it. It would be one thing if those invited to the shower actually got together for a fun day and the bride could only attend through SKYPE. That's not the case here. This isn't a shower that's proposed, it's a fund raiser.

Honored Contributor

On 7/4/2014 Clover29 said:

It's only three close female relatives, not everyone who's on Facebook. It's not tacky.

Where did you get the idea it was only three? Her relatives are only three but there are others who will be included.

Super Contributor

On 7/4/2014 occasional rain said:
On 7/4/2014 Clover29 said:

Where did you get the idea it was only three? Her relatives are only three but there are others who will be included.

OP said "its only immediate family and groom's mom, sister, gma". OK, so immediate family could be a few extra people, but they're immediate family, so it's still not tacky. IMO. Obviously mileage varies.