Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice re gossipy mail carrier

On 7/22/2014 santorini said:

I'm with your husband. I'd let it go.

ITA or just talk to the mail person face to face...

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

Knowing myself, I'd 'let it go', but I would have a private 'chat' with her. In a nice demeanor, I'd say that next time the post office will give me a call if there is anything of major importance. Etc., etc. BTW, she shouldn't be spending a lot of time 'chatting' with people. Just do the job, and report back to her postal office. at the end of her working day.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I'd report the incident.

Many neighbors, covering several streets, have reported on our mailman. He's awful. He was rarely buttoning his shirt so we'd get to see his bare chest. Always getting neighbors mail. We have met some people 2 streets over because we constantly get their mail, so we end up delivering it. One day he was off the whole street, everyone had the next door neighbors mail-bout 25 houses. Rainy days our mail is soaked- enough that we had to let it dry before trying to open it. Even with all the complaints he still delivers the mail but he's a little better, his shirt is now buttoned.

So she may not get fired but her service may improve and she may decide the rules are important.

Valued Contributor

On 7/22/2014 pitdakota said:

mamma3gs, I would be upset as well. And not just about the mail carrier delivering the mail to your neighbor. There is a reason that putting a withholding on mail even started and that was to avoid mail piling up and signaling people that maybe you were out of town! It sends a clear signal to some that your house could be an easy target.

It is also your business who you tell you are going out of town and who you don't tell. The mail carrier had no business even divulging you had your mail on hold. There are many people that don't necessarily announce to the neighborhood that they are going out of town because they don't want to take the chance of that information getting to someone that might plan to break into the house.

And who knows if she does this with someone else on her route?

I would certainly report her for taking the mail to your neighbor. I know you are reluctant to report her, but it could prevent further problems for someone in the future.

Good word, Pitdakota....I don't even understand why it was delivered anywhere if there was a hold put on the mail....much less to a neighbor, who like you said, she may not have even wanted her to know she was out of town.

Trusted Contributor

In some more rural areas (like where I live) the ""postal carrier"" is not a government employee but a contractor. Not sure how hiring and firing is done with this scenario and how many ""complaints"" a carrier can get without being let go. But in your case the carrier definitely did wrong!
Respected Contributor

On 7/22/2014 Jannabelle said:

mamma3gs, I would be upset as well. And not just about the mail carrier delivering the mail to your neighbor. There is a reason that putting a withholding on mail even started and that was to avoid mail piling up and signaling people that maybe you were out of town! It sends a clear signal to some that your house could be an easy target.

It is also your business who you tell you are going out of town and who you don't tell. The mail carrier had no business even divulging you had your mail on hold. There are many people that don't necessarily announce to the neighborhood that they are going out of town because they don't want to take the chance of that information getting to someone that might plan to break into the house.

I would certainly report her for taking the mail to your neighbor. I know you are reluctant to report her, but it could prevent further problems for someone in the future.

Good word, Pitdakota....I don't even understand why it was delivered anywhere if there was a hold put on the mail....much less to a neighbor, who like you said, she may not have even wanted her to know she was out of town.

I know Jannabelle. Our Police Dept here is always advising people not to post you are going on vacation, etc. on social media & not to tell anyone unless it is necessary & you absolutely trust them that you will be gone.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor

On 7/22/2014 Jannabelle said:

I know Jannabelle. Our Police Dept here is always advising people not to post you are going on vacation, etc. on social media & not to tell anyone unless it is necessary & you absolutely trust them that you will be gone.

Exactly,...... that seems to be the whole point of having mail held, if she wanted neighbors to have it she would have asked them to get it for her.......I always assumed that when you had mail held it would not even make it to the carrier, I guess that is wrong.

Honored Contributor

DEFINITELY report it ..... this postal carrier is clearly taking liberties that fall outsde the guidelines of her job ..... and don't forget to mention the 40 minute chat breaks!

As for "jeopardizing her job, you wouldn't be .... the postal carrier did that all by herself. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Don't be afraid to speak up. These people make a good wage and we should expect them to be ethical and efficient. That's not too much to ask.

Esteemed Contributor

If you seriously won't file a complaint with your postal office, I would definitely have a come to Jesus meeting with the mail carrier. Ask her if determining which mail should be held at the post office and which mail should be delivered to a neighbor is within the realm of her job responsibilities. Allow her to answer that question. Then let her know in no uncertain terms that going forward you want your "hold mail order" honored.

I think this conversation can be handled in a cordial, respectful manner, while at the same time informing her that you are going to kick some a&& if it ever happens again. Smile

Honored Contributor

My husband was a mail carrier and said this is in violation of their policy. When mail is put on a hold, it has a special place in that carrier's rack. Carrier's are not even suppose to look at what type of mail a person is receiving.

You should go talk to the Postmaster and not to the carrier.