Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need advice re gossipy mail carrier

On 7/24/2014 kdgn said:

I have no pre-conceived notions at all. I am making no assumptions. I don't care if the neighbor is nosey or not. What I do care about is the original poster was having her mail held and signed for that to be done. She left a phone number as requested.

The mail carrier did something that is not legal and wasn't part of the agreement. She needs to be reported for this and nothing else. She took mail that was being held and delivered it to someone who was not the recipient. Not allowed.

ITA. It does not matter whether the mail carrier gave it to the neighbor because she was nosy and wanted to know what the notice was for or because she was just trying to be helpful. the fact remains that she clearly broke Post Office policy and she needs to be reported. I would call the Postmaster and report the incident. I would not even bring up what relationship she has with your neighbor or their long gossip sessions. it is not germane to your complaint and would only cause they waters to become muddy. Just stick to the facts about the letter.
Honored Contributor

Jannabelle, I know for sure that what the mail carrier did was wrong.

My husband was a mail carrier and when mail is on a hold, it is to stay at the post office.

It is a big deal and the Postmaster needs to know about this situation.

Valued Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Sister Golden Hair said:

Jannabelle, I know for sure that what the mail carrier did was wrong.

My husband was a mail carrier and when mail is on a hold, it is to stay at the post office.

It is a big deal and the Postmaster needs to know about this situation.

I agree Sister Golden Hair, it was wrong, .......but do you mean illegal, or just morally wrong?

Thanks, Smile

Honored Contributor

Jannabelle, USPS has procedures and regulations that conform to Federal laws on mail delivery and the hold on mail. What the mail carrier did was a violation of policy. Mail is to be delivered to the addressee only.

Valued Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Sister Golden Hair said:

Jannabelle, USPS has procedures and regulations that conform to Federal laws on mail delivery and the hold on mail. What the mail carrier did was a violation of policy. Mail is to be delivered to the addressee only.

Thanks! That is what I thought, but just wanted it confirmed. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Burnsite said:

Mom, That was a real breach of the letter carrier's duties. I have a gossipy postman, too, and there's nothing to be done about it.

They're like journalists (I used to work with a lot of journalists). They _get_ nosey if they were not born that way.

She has received a snub for now, and you can talk to her privately when you return. If you go up a notch and talk to a supervisor, she might get fired.

Well, since when is everyone so concerned about protecting the job of someone who does something illegal ..... or at least seriously unethical? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

So what did you decide to do OP?

Regular Contributor

When I lived in my own home, I had to depend on the mail person taking my outgoing mail at the front door. Unfortunately they never would come up the stairs unless they were delivering mail unless I could call them. One of the women would sit at the neighbors house for what seemed like forever -- yacking and I guess eating and drinking (not alcohol). Im sure they saw me waiting at the door, but just talked longer.

She often would give the man next door some of the mail to deliver and I know he looked the envelopes over. I think it was illegal but to be honest did not dare to say anything to any of them -- I was afraid of the man who had a bad temper and had a key to everyone's houses -it sounds paranoid I guess but I was afraid if he got upset with me he would hurt my tiny dog who he hated.

Super Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 7/24/2014 Burnsite said:

Mom, That was a real breach of the letter carrier's duties. I have a gossipy postman, too, and there's nothing to be done about it.

They're like journalists (I used to work with a lot of journalists). They _get_ nosey if they were not born that way.

She has received a snub for now, and you can talk to her privately when you return. If you go up a notch and talk to a supervisor, she might get fired.

Well, since when is everyone so concerned about protecting the job of someone who does something illegal ..... or at least seriously unethical? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Speeding is illegal too, but we all do it... The mail carrier can change if it is brought to her attention..I prefer remediation to termination, maybe I am a softy....
Esteemed Contributor

OP. now that you have read the responses what are you going to,do???