Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice on how to handle a sticky work situation

Go online and sign up in your state for unemployment, Select you were laid off.

The sooner you do that, the sooner you will get benefits, until you can find another job. 

Honored Contributor

Nope I always reply on top so it is read first, only way I have done it and will always do it, no on has ever commented on it .

@Mj12 wrote:

When you quote a post, can you reply below the post you are quoting?  It's confusing.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I will offer my sympathies.  I'm sorry you were let go.  I"m sure it hurts.  Good luck to you!  I'd file for unemployment.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Nope I always reply on top so it is read first, only way I have done it and will always do it, no on has ever commented on it .

@Mj12 wrote:

When you quote a post, can you reply below the post you are quoting?  It's confusing.

OK then.  I'm sorry you were let go.  I wish you the best.  I think you should return their files.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have the files for the 16 years of magazines I designed 

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Thing is they have not even realized I have all the fires needed, when they do, I will be cordial and be charging them for my services, since I am no longer employed by them. I think this is only fair.

Didn't you say that you have files for previous work you did for the company, which I assume means they've already paid you for that work?
Or is this work you've done in advance, that you have NOT been paid for yet?

In that case, they have already paid you for the work you did to create those files, why would you expect to basically 'sell' them files that they've already paid you for?

No offense at all, but I think you're too emotional right now to look at this situation rationally and I agree with a previous poster that you need to take some time to think about all of this and just breathe.....

The last thing you need right now is to do something that could result in legal issues over those files.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am still oxox wrote:

So sorry I do not know the difference

This might make it easier.

Laid off = you did nothing wrong.  You were let go because of no fault of your own.

Fired = You did something wrong to warrant being fired.

In our state, unemployment benefits aren't paid to anyone who was fired for "gross negligence".  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Other than being fired, what would be the reason to file for unemployment I am confused

@Bestdressed wrote:

Maybe I am wrong ... but I think you can collect unemployment if you are fired, but it will take longer to collect.

There may have been more to the story, but if the company is not doing well financially... It would have only been a matter of time, before you were let go. If you were fired, then there must be something in your personal records to reflect the reason for being fired.

Good luck... I hope you find a new job quickly. I would move forward and return the files your company already owns.

If you are laid off, you can apply for unemployment.  If your job is permanently eliminated, you can apply for unemployment.

There is a difference between this and being fired.  Either way, I understand you are out of a job but there is a difference. 

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

If the material you have is work product, it doesn't belong to you and you are legally and morally required to give it to your emloyer.  It is not YOURS.   However, if you are talking about notes and sample copies that you kept for your own benefit to assist you in doing the job.  It's not work product but more like training material; that belongs to you and you are no required to give it to your employer.  It's a slippery slope.  If you think you will need a good reference from this employer, it is in your best interest to make the transition as easy and smooth as possible.  Whether you get a good severance package or not.  I am a manager, I hire a lot of people and I can tell you that if I called for a reference and was told that someone was "difficult" during a transition or retained material that belonged to the company....I would not hire that person.  It shows a lack of character and professionalism.  It's petty.  The mature and professional thing to do is to negotiate a severance package but you are NOT going to get 6-8 weeks from a small company that is struggling finanically.  I work for a big company that has money to burn but we do not give severance packages like that.  It's 2-3 weeks for non managerial employees.  So, your employer is right on par with 2 weeks.  You are in shock and rightfully angry, disappointed, sad and confused.  You want to hurt them the way they hurt you.  Step back and absorb things.  They layoff isn't personal. 

Respected Contributor

You should sign up for unemployment benefits, you pay into unemployment through payroll taxes.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I was fired because they have 0 money, I did no wrong I was a loyal and trusted employee for 16 years

@HappyDaze wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Huh of course you can get unemployment if you are fire, it is not their decision.

No, not true. You are not guaranteed unemployment if you are fired. It depends on the reason you are fired and the employee does have a say and can contest a person's unemployment request (when they file), although most companies don't because it is alot of effort and requires documentation.

So I'm confused..were you fired or laid off? BIG difference, especially in terms of unemployment benefits and for getting another job. Being laid off is much more acceptable to potential employers than being fired.