Trusted Contributor

Re: Need advice on how to handle a sticky work situation

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Thing is they have not even realized I have all the fires needed, when they do, I will be cordial and be charging them for my services, since I am no longer employed by them. I think this is only fair 

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but, it sounds as if your gut is advocating blackmail and/or extortion. Not what my gut would tell me to do. 

ETA  If this is the first time you've ever been fired/laid off (whether through  no fault of your own or not), you are in the minority. It's, simply, a fact of life. 

BTW, if they have no money and that was the reason given for your termination, you were laid off, not fired

"I contend that we are both atheists . I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."  Stephen Henry Roberts

Super Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Beginning to wonder if there was more than just financial reasons for the termination.

lol

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Beginning to wonder if there was more than just financial reasons for the termination.

Like the numerous spelling and grammar errors, and possibly attitude?

Respected Contributor

Stages of layoff grief

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross made famous the five stages of grief, and they have been applied to layoffs too:

• Denial - "This can't be happening."  I think that most of the denial occurs BEFORE the layoff, when people see the signs of a declining company but figure that something is going to work out.  Looking for a job is such a pain most people will wait until they are fired to start.  But really, if the company is tanking you should start looking way before you get fired.
  • Anger - "I am so pissed at those idiots.  Wait until they try and get along without me."  This is actually a really unproductive phase, but it feels so good to think of all the mistakes the company is making by firing you.  You might be angry at a lot of people, including those who didn't get laid off. You're going to feel the company has been ungrateful for all of your work.  And you're right.  But economics trumps gratitude every time. It's important not to vent your frustrations at work, or go in and tell the boss off no matter how much you want to.  File this under "Burn bridges, don't".
  • Bargaining - "How about if I take a pay cut...?" I've seen people put together elaborate plans to try to keep their job.  Why not?  After all, being out of work sucks and looking for a job is hard.  If you can just convince them of your worth, maybe they'll reconsider.  But I've rarely seen this work.  In most companies the severance process is so complicated that once it is put in motion, nothing is going to change it.
  • Depression - and, I would add, fear.  "How am I ever going to survive?"  This is the big one and the stage that traps the most people for the longest time.  Of course you're going to feel depressed.  This is life-changing.  The future is unknown.  You had a good - or at least ok - job and now it's gone.  Feel bad, talk with your friends, curse the company... and then move on.
  • Acceptance - So here is a certainty: while you are in the first four phases, you aren't going to get another job.  So roll through them, give yourself some time and then figure out what you are going to do next.  You may find yourself repeating a couple of the phases (especially Anger and Depression, I've found), even after you've reached Acceptance.  But as long as you are out there trying to find something new, I wouldn't worry. 

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

happy hour?

Trusted Contributor

Maybe I am wrong ... but I think you can collect unemployment if you are fired, but it will take longer to collect.

There may have been more to the story, but if the company is not doing well financially... It would have only been a matter of time, before you were let go. If you were fired, then there must be something in your personal records to reflect the reason for being fired.

Good luck... I hope you find a new job quickly. I would move forward and return the files your company already owns.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

I was fired because they have 0 money, I did no wrong I was a loyal and trusted employee for 16 years

@HappyDaze wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Huh of course you can get unemployment if you are fire, it is not their decision.

No, not true. You are not guaranteed unemployment if you are fired. It depends on the reason you are fired and the employee does have a say and can contest a person's unemployment request (when they file), although most companies don't because it is alot of effort and requires documentation.

You were a loyal and trusted employee? But you want to - essentially- hold their property for  ranson?  Burning your bridges could impact your next chapter.

Honored Contributor

Guess this is a joke but I am sure as heck not laughing. I am answering the messages in the tone they were written

1jenniferjuniper wrote:

CrazyDaisy wrote:

lol

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Seriously how could you even post somethign like this even in

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

happy hour?

jest

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Other than being fired, what would be the reason to file for unemployment I am confused

@Bestdressed wrote:

Maybe I am wrong ... but I think you can collect unemployment if you are fired, but it will take longer to collect.

There may have been more to the story, but if the company is not doing well financially... It would have only been a matter of time, before you were let go. If you were fired, then there must be something in your personal records to reflect the reason for being fired.

Good luck... I hope you find a new job quickly. I would move forward and return the files your company already owns.