Respected Contributor

Need advice on Medi-Cal and Covered CA

[ Edited ]

This is so bizarre. I received a welcome packet from Medi-Cal in the mail. I was totally shocked because I never applied for it and my income far exceeds their requirements. My current provider is Blue of CA. I had to call my city's Medi-Cal office and after a very long hold time was able to speak with a rep. Apparently in my state (CA) when monthly income falls below a certain amount Covered CA  automatically forwards your info to Medi-Cal which enrolls you in their program. My monthly income varies because I'm self employed and I get paid at the end of every project but my yearly gross is way way over their maximum qualification amount. I was told I needed to send in my income tax statement for 2015 (which I haven't started on) and when a copy is received by Medi-Cal that shows I make enough to disqualify me for Medi-Cal only then will they kick me out of their program. The rep also told me it was up to me if I wanted to continue to pay for Blue of CA coverage. What the...?  

This is absurd. I don't want to be on Medi-Cal. I'm completely flabbergasted at the unwillingness to remove me from government assistance. Anyone have any experience or insight to provide?  TIA. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on Medi-Cal and Covered CA

It seems they have a computer program that alerts them when a person has a monthly low income, and because of your unique circumstances you were flagged by the computer. When you do your taxes just simply send them a copy and it will unflag you. I don't understand your problem with that.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It seems they have a computer program that alerts them when a person has a monthly low income, and because of your unique circumstances you were flagged by the computer. When you do your taxes just simply send them a copy and it will unflag you. I don't understand your problem with that.

The problem is I have services available to me that I don't deserve. 

I was told by two reps that it's "free care". They didn't see the problem either. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

This happens now when signing up for the ACA, your info is automatically sent to Medicaid if your income doesn't qualify. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

And honestly, I think they should ask if people want their info forwarded automatically.

Respected Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

And honestly, I think they should ask if people want their info forwarded automatically.

I agree with you. Not everyone wants assistance.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I was told by two reps that it's "free care". They didn't see the problem either. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable with their response either.  If they had told me to provide proof of insurance, I would have accepted that.

Another issue which comes to mind will this "free care" in any way complicate your paid coverage.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I wouldn't feel comfortable with their response either.  If they had told me to provide proof of insurance, I would have accepted that.

Another issue which comes to mind will this "free care" in any way complicate your paid coverage.

I was told eventually Covered CA will notice the discrepancy and notify me. By then I should have my taxes done and be off of Medi-Cal. 

The attitude of Medi-Cal really bugs me. Nothing is free. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Say Nay-----If you have an accountant or a tax person, ask them to look into it and then decide what to do.  Also, every year, EVERY Tom, D88K & HARRY sends out stuff to sign up for it, this includes all the advertisements for Medicare.--------Just athought on my part.-------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

@tedEbear I will do that. Thanks : )

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____