Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need advice if you know anything about the music business

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I am terribly, terribly sorry that the o/p lost her daughter.

I have zero connection to the entertainment business, but I do know that it is a who-you-know business.

One can get a lawyer, get stuff copyrighted, get an agent, but that still doesn't mean that you'll get a meeting with who you want.

Even if the luck is blowing your way, that is still no guarantee that they will see the work as gold.

Because, while my heart goes out to the o/p, the fact is, she is seeing the work through biased eyes.

Every parent thinks that everything that their kid does is genius, not that there is anything wrong with that.

But, a professional might not see the work in the same way.

All I am trying to say is, while it is great to pursue your dreams, you also have to prepare yourself for lots of disappointment, too.

Not only that but her words have to be set to music, (someone has to write the music) to go along with the words which makes it even more complicated.  You're right, it's not easy.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

As Prince learned, it is very difficult to own your masters.  So you have to make sure, if you get back the copyright issue, that an entertainment lawyer advises you on perpetual ownership rights.  Paul McCartney doesn't even own his early work - John and he signed the rights away years ago, then Michael Jackson bought them, and now I believe Sony owns them. 

Honored Contributor

Lennon/McCartney lost out on negotiations with ****** James after Brian Epstein died - all four had much of the Beatles catalogue tied up with Northern Songs - a company all four had formed.

But McCartney made some serious mistakes especially after the death of Lennon and James was able to sell the catalogue to an Australian billionaire who wanted to re-sell quickly.

It wasn't so much about McCarney sellilg his rights - it was that Michael Jackson actually outbid him after McCartny and supposedly Yoko Ono decided not to pursue a select number of songs.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I am terribly, terribly sorry that the o/p lost her daughter.

I have zero connection to the entertainment business, but I do know that it is a who-you-know business.

One can get a lawyer, get stuff copyrighted, get an agent, but that still doesn't mean that you'll get a meeting with who you want.

Even if the luck is blowing your way, that is still no guarantee that they will see the work as gold.

Because, while my heart goes out to the o/p, the fact is, she is seeing the work through biased eyes.

Every parent thinks that everything that their kid does is genius, not that there is anything wrong with that.

But, a professional might not see the work in the same way.

All I am trying to say is, while it is great to pursue your dreams, you also have to prepare yourself for lots of disappointment, too.

Not only that but her words have to be set to music, (someone has to write the music) to go along with the words which makes it even more complicated.  You're right, it's not easy.

@itiswhatitis@Plaid Pants2  Lindsay's Gram stated her daughter played guitar so it would follow she also composed the melodies.

I'm sure Linsay's Gram is well aware that this is not an easy process and whether the songs are ever published really isn't the issue - the issue is a daughter's legacy consists of talent among other things and for that I send all the best to her mom.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

As Prince learned, it is very difficult to own your masters.  So you have to make sure, if you get back the copyright issue, that an entertainment lawyer advises you on perpetual ownership rights.  Paul McCartney doesn't even own his early work - John and he signed the rights away years ago, then Michael Jackson bought them, and now I believe Sony owns them. 

It's not difficult to own your masters if you never sign a contract giving away your intellectual property in the first place. Now days, more and more artists are self publishing, recording and releasing their music on their own. I would not call a music industry exec and ask their opinion, they are in it to line their own pockets, not the artists. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval