Respected Contributor

Need advice about insurance

[ Edited ]

I’m retired. Last Feb was my last month of employer Cobra.  Starting in March I went on a Blue Cross silver ppo policy. It was very expensive but I erred on the side of caution.

I received a letter during open enrollment that indicated if I kept the silver ppo my monthly premium would decrease by a little over $200. I doubted that but it was verified for me during 3 separate phone calls to BC during Open Enrollment. I also received an email indicating my new, low rate would go into effect in January.

just got my new bill for January. You probably guessed that it’s the old, higher rate. Open enrollment is over. Do I have any recourse? 

This issue is important to me. Please refrain from arguing so I can get needed info before I call BC to inquire.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice about insurance

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

I agree with Carmie - contact your State Insurance Commission.

Honored Contributor

JMO I have BCBS now and when I sign up for Medicare (I turn 65 in Feb) I am specifically looking for any other insurance. I despise BCBS. Their billing is insane! The OP's problem is typical for BCBS. Good luck.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

You have something in writing.

This should be a no-brainer.

From what I understand, if you are on a plan, and you say you signed up for the Silver PPO in March, you don't have to do anything during open enrollment to keep the same plan.   So they shouldn't tell you anything otherwise.

I don't use Blue Cross, but I am on Medicare.

I'm sure it's a simple fix on their part, with just a phone call

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone. Offices are closed until after the holiday. I’ll be calling as soon as they’re open. 

I just have a feeling they’re going to get away with this. I looked at all the info they emailed me and there’s a phrase that indicates application was pending approval. But it also states that change in premium cost could happen IF I instituted changes such as if I added someone to my policy, which I didn’t.

Even though I called 3 separate times and as mentioned above, they do record all calls, I’m afraid they can do this and I won’t be able to change it. It’s going to cost an extra $223 each month. 

If they’d’ve just been honest with me from the beginning I wouldn’t be so mad. I just feel they purposely manipulated me and lied, dangling that carrot of cheaper premiums in front of me so I wouldn’t go to a less expensive policy or shop around elsewhere. 😡

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

Right now we have Empire BCBS as part of my husbands pension package.

The entire health insurance package goes away when he becomes eligible for Medicare in March.  I wish we could keep them as our supplement but because they are the NY plan and we live in NJ we won't be able to.

Trusted Contributor

@Kalli Your best bet is to call BCBS.  This could be a simple computer glitch...it's the end of the year (this is a huge time for insurance carriers with their computer systems because a ton of regulatory filings are due at the end of 1Q 2019) combined with this being the first month of your policy's billing.  Depending on what BCBS tells you when you call them, you can always file a complaint with the insurance commissioner in your state. If your call to BCBS verifies you have to pay the higher amount, when you file your complaint state what you have in this posting to the forum, that you chatted numerous times and was told what you'd pay.  The phone calls should be recorded and can be pulled off servers, which the insurance commissioner could demand in a reply to your complaint if you need to file one. Sending the best thoughts your way.  I hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

Most call centers do record ALL calls but it's also important to make a note of the time you call and the name of the person you speak with.  It helps when oyu are calling back with a question/complaint/compliment regarding previous calls/conversations.  

Did you buy directly form BCBS or did you go through an agent/agency?  From my experience.."most" agents only give half-truths...basically they say anything to sell the policy.