Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice---Cash or Debit Card on long road trip?

re notifying your bank about travel

I bank with a credit union and they now have this feature where you tell them your travel destination(s) and who is authorized to use the card.

On the one hand, I like this so that they don't automatically assume fraud and cancel my card until they hear from me.  On the other hand, I am not comfortable with who knows how many employees knowing that I'm not home.

Hence, I haven't used it yet.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

When you decide on the amount of cash you are taking, make sure you have a lot of singles and fives for small purchases and tips. Cash machines usually give larger bills. 

This can't be stressed enough!  When I was traveling a few weeks ago I had to break a 20 in the hotel bar (the front desk didn't have any singles) and then again at the grocery store just so I would have enough singls for the week.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice---Cash or Debi Card on long road trip?

@lulu2 wrote:

As others have said, get a credit card.  I would never consider traveling without one.

I've never used Traveler's Checks in the US but I know in Europe, very few places take them.  We had to cash them at a bank or an Am Ex office.

I honestly didn't even know they did Traveler's Checks anymore.  Everyone I know that has traveled to Europe, etc. gets a preloaded Visa card.  I was told no one does TC anymore. 

Honored Contributor

If traveling..i call credit card i use and let them know i'm traveling and where ,etc .

I do take some cash with me and use a money belt pinned inside of my waistband.I seldom carry more then$ 40.00 in my wallet at any given time.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

When we did this trip and were away for 5 weeks, we used a credit card all the way!!!  Of course you always need to carry a small amount of cash at all times.

Honored Contributor

Use a credit card that offers rewards, you will make a lot of money this way with hotels, gas, restaurants.  We use Chase Freedom.

Honored Contributor

If your credit allows get a well know credit card, Discover is not accepted everywhere.  Set a low limit and use it ONLY for this trip.  Then lock it away.  You don't have to carry it on a daily basis, but credit cards do offer theft protection that other cards do not.

Get a debit card.  Not the one you already have attached to your checking and/or savings.  

Some banks call this a 'World Debit Card' or something similar.  Make sure you let them know NOT to attach this card to your other existing accounts.  

Then give the teller how-ever much money you plan to spend to attach to this card.  

If anyone does steal your card they can only take the amount you have put in the bank to cover it.

Have a great trip!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Make life easy and get a major credit card like a visa.  I can't imagine traveling without one!  Take a small amount of cash plus your ATM card.

I can't imagine anyone bothering to get Traveler's Checks today.  A lot of places simply don't take them anymore.  They were popular about 30 years ago!

Trusted Contributor

Since this is a long road trip, I'd take at least $200 in cash--drinks at convenience stores, tipping, small purchases, hotel tipping...etc.  Small businesses love it when you pay cash.  On an upcoming trip, I'll take $600 or so, and I'll have $400 when I go to an art show this weekend.  I may love my points (credit card), but cash is king.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Contributor

The biggest reason why you need a credit card when you travel is to avoid the massive holds that are put on debit cards by hotels/rental car companies when you check in. You can pay however you want when your stay is done but you always want a cc as your incidentals card.  And if you don't want confused twenty-something cashiers to stare blankly at the mysterious relic you've placed in front of them then I would nix the traveller's cheques idea.