Honored Contributor

Re: Need a new vacuum.....cordless or not?

I had a cordless handheld vacuum, i.e.,, dustbuster and that cured me of ever having anything cordless.

Honored Contributor

It all depends on what kind of flooring you have, how big the areas you are sweeping, do you have pets, do you bring in lots of dirt and dust. . . etc.

It's about that, not cordless or not. 

Valued Contributor

I also would never go back to a corded vac. I bought this one when it was a TSV:

https://www.qvc.com/Dyson-V11-Outsize-Origin-Plus-Cordfree-Vacuum-with-9-Tools.product.V37709.html?s...

I’ve had several cordless Dysons but this one is best. No battery issues cleaning my 1600 sq feet house and the amount of dog hair it pulls is so satisfying.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98  I just got a new Dyson upright with two speeds on the Costco sale.  It is my second one that really does well for picking up pet hair.  I also have a Dyson cordless that I use as a handheld and it works on smaller jobs.  My new Dyson has an extra long cord and two speeds.  I think much depends on your household need.  For me, even the upright cordless ones do not have the power that I prefer, and I find them to be a waste of money.  We have had them and I always go back to Dyson.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

For me, suction is the most important feature of a vacuum.

Those I know with cordless claim suction isn't as good as electric and they don't like that run time is very low.  They also don't like the constant recharging.

For those living in older houses with few electrical outlets, cordless is a great convenience and good for quick pickups, but for cleaning the whole house, they are a no for me.  

Until they improve vacuum batteries to run for hours, cordless won't be on my "must have" list.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have both but, prefer the corded vacuum because I don’t have to worry about a charge running out!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated!  TIA

@Sue98  I have both and if this is your only vac I sat corded. I do like my shark cordless but I use the corded one for carpets, Cordless for hard wood and tile or quick pick up on carpet, not deep cleaning.

Honored Contributor

Definitely not cordless.  They don't tell you cordless batteries have a limited life then won't recharge.  A replacement is expensive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My home is only 936 sq ft. I bought a Shark Ion 2 Flex cordless vac. It came with two batteries. I love it. i HATE dealing with cords. Its perfect for me.

However, this was before the self-cleaning brush came out otherwise I would've bought that one. 

Honored Contributor

I paid way too much for a Dyson cordless and it was a mistake. Short run time and poorly made...the plastic pieces on the wide attachment falls apart each time I use it and I have to snap it back together several times if I use it. I only use it on hard surfaces, but use my Oreck upright to clean carpets or rugs. The Dyson is good for cleaning under the bed and other furniture where the Oreck can’t go, but I would never buy a Dyson again. The other problem is not many places around here that will work on them.