Honored Contributor

Re: Need a new vacuum.....cordless or not?

I just bought myself a new Dyson, hepa/animal purple ball upright. It's heavy, they noted it was lightweight. The hose attachment is very tricky to attach back to the machine. Took us forever to figure out exactly how to reattach (into little slots, if it's not right try try try try try again). A reall hassle until you 'get it'. Did I say it's heavy to lift? I did get a good deal on a newly refurbished from ebay at $160.00.

Since I also have a pretty new Hoover that I bought awhile back so I could have a sweeper on each floor, I put this one aside thinking I wasn't happy with it but now I love it. It smaller, much lighter weight, easy to move around No it doesn't have a swivel head but it gets lower than the new Dyson. It's easier to maneuver. I now use the Hoover downstairs (main flr) and tood the Dyson upstairs. I'll use it there, it'll be fine, 2nd floor not so big, hardly gets dirty.

I had to get rid of my very old original dyson, the hose broke and I can no longer get a replacement, even had a conversation with dyson directly, no go. Had to toss it - that was a great sweeper.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Sue98 wrote:

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated!  TIA

@Sue98  I have both and if this is your only vac I sat corded. I do like my shark cordless but I use the corded one for carpets, Cordless for hard wood and tile or quick pick up on carpet, not deep cleaning.

@Sue98  - I do exactly what @mspatmac  does.  I use the cordless for wood and tile.  I use the corded for the carpets. 

I bought the Sharke cordless that the Q had a few weeks ago.  My corded is also Sharke.  I'm happy with the Sharke brand.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Corded for serious vacuuming. I have a robot vacuum and a handheld for the rest. Charging stations are a pain and I already have to have one for the robot.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends on whether you're going to use it for hardwood/tile floors, or for carpet/area rugs. I use my Dyson cordless every single day and wouldn't be without it. I have 3 cats and tile floors on my main level town home, and have never run out of battery charge. After using, it goes back on the battery charger in my garage and it's always ready to go. I spend maybe 15 minutes (or less) daily getting up cat fur, dirt and litter. But, I need a heavier vacuum for the carpet on my 2nd level (bedrooms/loft) and the area rug in my LR. My cordless Dyson just doesn't do a very good job on carpet, but I don't know how other brands work. For tile or wood floor, I would only use my cordless Dyson. I hate having to deal with that blasted cord and the heavy vacuum.

Trusted Contributor

I love my cordless Dyson, but I just use it for the hardwood floor. It does a wonderful job for me and I am very happy with it.  For the carpet, I use my old vacuum that I've had for years. 

Trusted Contributor

So mich depends on what type of floor surfaces you have, how much floor space you have and if you vacuum the whole house at one time.  

Respected Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Can you tell me which model it is?  Thanks!

It's a Navigator, but I got the one with the extra large dust bin because I have dogs @Sue98 

Valued Contributor

I almost always use my cordless Shark.i love it. Shark rocket pet pro stick vac. It is gereat on laminate and carpet.