Trusted Contributor

Need a new vacuum.....cordless or not?

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated!  TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Need a new vacuum.....cordless or not?

I have both and I only use the cordless for quick jobs. I get annoyed when it doesn't run very long. I just bought a new Shark that has the self cleaning brush roll and I love it

Trusted Contributor

Can you tell me which model it is?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 I also have both -- I use the cordless for my hard floors and quick jobs for my lowest weave carpets.  When I want to deep vacuum carpet, I use a really old Hoover my shop tells me not to trash until it's beyond fixing.

Respected Contributor

Once I had a cordless dyson, I would never buy a corded vac again.

Valued Contributor

The charge on cordless anything doesn't last long enough for my purposes.

Honored Contributor

When the battery runs out of juice then you're done even though you aren't done cleaning. When the battery will not charge any more then it needs to be replaced, those are not cheap and the expired one goes into a landfill. Can you tell I'm not a fan of battery-operated stuff?

Honored Contributor

No .... been there, done that!   I had to plan in advance if I was gong to vacuum to be sure it was charged.  If I had a quick pick-up to do - usually not charged.

I do stuff when the mood hits me - appliances have to work on my schedule, not theirs.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have anywhere to conveniently plug in a cordless vac for charging.  That makes more of a difference to me than price, suction, weight, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue98 

Be sure to read reviews from consumer blogs on the run time for these cordless vacuums (google to find reviews)...

Some of the presentations on QVC are a bit disingenuous----  They say that a charge lasts for an hour, but thats on the low setting and on hardwood floors, the actual run time on carpet can be as low as 6 to 15 minutes....

And check the re-charge time too....and the cost of replacement batteries....To me the cordless are only good for quick pickup jobs.......A corded is better if you have a lot of carpeted areas and/or variety of flooring....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”