Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a gift suggestion for 80 year old birthday

@momoftwo2007

correct spelling: usa.loccitane.com

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

Thank you, everyone, for your great suggestions!!  

After reading everyone's comments, I think I am leaning towards getting her a nice set from Philosophy or L'Occitane.  She is a pretty practical and frugal person, so I know that she will not buy any "nice" pampering products for herself.  

Again, thank you all!

@momoftwo2007 From extensive and sometimes painful personal experience I can tell you it is likely that if she is frugal and doesn't buy expensive products she most likely will not use them.  I have learned this by hard experience.  Her brand will be "good enough" and she won't crack them open.

If you don't know someone very well, it's useless to try to figure out what they will like.  And that is especially true of older people.  When they say they don't want gifts most of the time they really mean they don't want gifts.

It may not be what you would like to give, something unusual, delightful or otherwise, but I'm pretty sure a gift card or cash and a card would not be an unwelcome gift. Anything else is really skating on thin ice for the giver. 

Trusted Contributor

I am 77 years old. On my birthday I really wish I could get some gift cards to a few restaurants. I have a enough fluffy throws I have enough of everything. Last year for my birthday I recieved a gift card to Victoria’s Secret. True story no joke. Someone my age I don’t think I need a gift card for there. So just be aware of what kind of gift card you give to an older person. Lol! I just could not picture an old lady like myself going into Victoria’s Secret and asking for granny panties!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm an older woman and I use L'Occitane products every day. Women of any age use hand soap, hand cream, body cream, body oil for the shower or cologne. It makes me feel clean and refreshed.