Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a gift suggestion for 80 year old birthday

@momoftwo2007 When our neighbor turned 80 and daughter had a little party for her, we gave her a gift certificate to her favorite grocery store and a bouquet of flowers. She was thrilled.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

No throws because that's what everyone gets, nothing to dust or display.  Give them gift cards and a lovely card with a note in it, and maybe a photo you have they might not have, but truthfully I wouldn't frame it.  

People that old normally do not need stuff or anything that has to be cared for--like dusting it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For my 80th birthday I would love to go to a Chippendale show in Vegas with my girlfriends. Smiley Happy

I went to one in New York and we had a blast.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Frequent Contributor

A book. A wrap or shawl, scarfs. Wristlet.

Esteemed Contributor

Gift certificate to a cleaning service or window cleaners, etc. What about GrubHub? 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

Gift certificate to a cleaning service or window cleaners, etc. What about GrubHub? 

EXCELLENT!  I'm old.  Get me one!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

Hi, Ladies,

I am going to attend my aunt's 80 years old birthday party in a few weeks.  What should I bring as a gift?  

Any suggestions??

(I have no idea what she likes, because she lives far way. And I haven't seen her in over 10 years).

Thanks!

@momoftwo2007  Do you know if she collects anything? If she likes tea, I gave my older aunt a gift basket I made w/ a selection of teas, tea strainer, beautiful tea cup/saucer (flea market find that looks antique) and/or can add a teapot & cozy, honey, etc. Same idea w/ coffees.

Respected Contributor

I've given my Mom a pretty Orchid flower plant for her birthday.  They bloom for quite a while and sometimes will bloom again..  At this time of year you can find cute little holiday cedar trees all decorated and/or in pretty pots, about 12" tall. these need frequent watering though.  

my Mom in her late 80s is fussy, she wouldnt want any bath stuff or a cleaning co. come in, she likes to cook her own food and has tons of throws.

She would like the luminaria candles and a gift card to TJ Maxx!

mini trees:

Related image

Valued Contributor

If you know her circumstances this would be a little easier.  My dear dil's elderly grandmother wanted practical gifts like toilet paper and baby wipes. She also was happy to get gift cards to CVS.  Depending on circumstances much of what we don't think of is beyond the reach of many elderly persons. 

Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

I've given my Mom a pretty Orchid flower plant for her birthday.  They bloom for quite a while and sometimes will bloom again..  At this time of year you can find cute little holiday cedar trees all decorated and/or in pretty pots, about 12" tall. these need frequent watering though.  

my Mom in her late 80s is fussy, she wouldnt want any bath stuff or a cleaning co. come in, she likes to cook her own food and has tons of throws.

She would like the luminaria candles and a gift card to TJ Maxx!

mini trees:

Related image

@CatsyCline  Cute idea!!