Respected Contributor

Need a gift suggestion for 80 year old birthday

Hi, Ladies,

I am going to attend my aunt's 80 years old birthday party in a few weeks.  What should I bring as a gift?  

Any suggestions??

(I have no idea what she likes, because she lives far way. And I haven't seen her in over 10 years).

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a gift suggestion for 80 year old birthday

I am attending a cousin's 80th birthday party in the middle of December. I have not seen her in about 8 years. And because there is 1,200 miles between us, it is going to be a LOOONG weekend.

I also would like to hear some gift ideas. 

Trusted Contributor

My sister in laws parents (both 81) have a saying about gifts at their age, if we can't eat it, we don't need it. So maybe something food related. Gift card, edible arrangement, some meals delivered to her home. I know I would love that and I'm 63.

Honored Contributor

Restaurant gift card,warm soft throw,manicure or pedicure...my mom has trouble looking after her feet.

Honored Contributor

I was going to say a gift certificate for a message, but if you are from out of the area you don't know who's good.I would take a gift box of L'Occitane bath products. My aunt is 83 , she loves that brand, but won't buy it for herself.

Esteemed Contributor

Food related but ask someone in advance for a preference.  And my hubby was given a gift that he is still enjoying... a flat screen tv set.  As a matter of fact I am alone here on the computer while he watches while exercises on his treadmill and exercise bike.  

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007-

That is really hard if you don't know what she likes.

I would ask someone in the family who maybe does know her and might have an idea what she likes.

I think something that can be used up is good too because most people that age and younger have what they need.

I think of lotions that she might like.Or gift basket of fruit,crackers,cheese and other things but you have to know her diet.

Or a pretty little plant/flower in a pot.

I do think a soft pretty throw like others have said is always nice.

My mother loves this faux window candle I gave her that is solar and comes on automatically at night. QVC has them but you can find them pretty much anywhere.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Everyone likes to smell good so a gift from Philosophy might be nice, also Josie Maran and that First Aid beauty products seem like a  nice gift to give.  I think they have some kits available. Food is always an option and the Q has lots to pick from but not knowing her preference you might want to pick something with high satisfaction ratings from customers. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Trusted Contributor

I would be cautious with fragrant lotions. As I have gotten older I find I can not tolerate many smells. They give me headaches.

Esteemed Contributor

turned 81 and would of loved having someone clean my house. I don't know where to put all the clothes I buy.