Honored Contributor

Re: Need a fast gift and I don't have a gift closet!

@Laura14 wrote:

I just got surpised with a birthday party for a sister (stepsister actually) on Saturday. 

I'd like to get her a little something since I never see her and she and her wife drove in their RV from Colorado to come and visit.

Anyone have a quick gift idea for her?  She is not a girly girl so the usual stuff won't work. Plus I kind of would like to include her wife in the gift if I could. 

The best I am coming up with is maybe two nice travel mugs with some goodies to add on. 

I'm just looking for a nice practical something that I could double and gift in two days for not a whole lot of money.  I also thought of maybe getting some nice blankets but they are traveling with two cats and two dogs so there is that consideration.

Anyone have any good ideas for a last minute gift I could pick up quick?  

@Laura14

I purchased the set of 6 Systema mugs with gift boxes for thirty bucks, and plan to use them filled with hard candy - or a grocery gift card .....  they are a real deal, and if anyone has them, you already know how often they get used.  I'm purchasing another set.  Check them out for other holiday gifts!  

K48079
Sistema Set of 6 Jumbo 30-oz Microwave Mug Set with Gift Boxes
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Tinkrbl44.  I am pretty sure my local BB&B sells them.  I will check them out.

@Misplaced Parisian  I have no idea what that is but I am off to look it up!  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Thank you @Tinkrbl44.  I am pretty sure my local BB&B sells them.  I will check them out.

@Misplaced Parisian  I have no idea what that is but I am off to look it up!  

@Laura14 I've been told by my craft beer friends that it is the beer carrying container.  Sometimes one comes with insulated pints glasses.  Beer people tend to love these.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

Not sure if someone already mentioned this but since you are considering travel mugs, I absolutely love my Yeti cup/mug.  Sporting goods stores and hardware stores may have them.  They keep cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot for hours.  No need to keep stopping for hot coffee on long road trips.

@Kalli, how hot and for how many hours? 

I received the Primula tumblers a couple of days ago based on the presentation that they would keep things hot for up to 8 hours.  Testing showed the temperature dropped more than 10 degrees an hour with the tumbler full.  Too fast to have a drinkable (for me) temperature coffee after a relatively short period of time.  Primula tumblers are being returned.

Hi @Marp!

I can attest to the Yeti for keeping things cold. I would presume the same goes for hot. I've kept ice in one, in a car, during the summer here for several hours. The outside temp was 110 degrees.

The Contigo cups (available at Amazon) perform just as well for a lot less cost.

@Ms tyrion2, thanks for your Yeti recommendation.  I have no problem finding things that will hold cold and in fact have a couple of Contingos.  My problem is that I'm a nut with my coffee!  It has to come out too hot to drink but once at drinking temperature maintain that temperature for an extended period of time.   I'm looking for something that will let me fill it with 185 degree coffee then have it at drinking temperature at least three or four hours later.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My husband and I travel with two dogs in our RV often. I would suggest that you not buy something that they will have to store or find a place for.

The travel mugs are a great idea..also add a gift bag, not a basket, of things they can snack on while on the road like chips, pretzels, candy, crackers, cheese, popcorn,  even single packets of a good quality hot chocolate mix would be nice.  Anything that can be consumed is always a good idea when in an RV traveling.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14@Most people dr8nk red wine these days.If you have a TJs they are very good at helping to choose wine and the prices aren’t bad either.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.

At Target, I found a set of blue and gray travel mugs and an orange throw.  They happen to be the colors of her Chicago Bear team so score! 

I also bought a celebration champagne bottle that has loads of candy and snacks for them to take on the road along with the lemon birthday cake she requested. 

As soon as Target says come and get it, I will.  Very much appreciate the help.  You guys rock!    

Honored Contributor

@Laura14sounds like you got it right...they will love it

Honored Contributor

that basket idea is great, have done to friends of ours, they really like that.

mugs, coffees, teas, special types of cookies, hot coco or chocolate. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14My step-sister is a retired College English Professior @ Berkley and SF. She always gets more books about Nebraska! Believe it or not, that's what she wants. Either she's reverting to her childhood or entering early stages of alzheimers. It is fun and a big challenge to find unique books for her gifts!!

Have found some old, signed ones by Nebraska authors that were a huge hit and a great one by a friend who has been capturing the amazing artwork done by Goodhue, the world-reknown architect of our State Capitol and many other magnificent works. In these searches, I'm learning a lot about Nebraska also! Win-win.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.