Honored Contributor

Need a fast gift and I don't have a gift closet!

I just got surpised with a birthday party for a sister (stepsister actually) on Saturday. 

I'd like to get her a little something since I never see her and she and her wife drove in their RV from Colorado to come and visit.

Anyone have a quick gift idea for her?  She is not a girly girl so the usual stuff won't work. Plus I kind of would like to include her wife in the gift if I could. 

The best I am coming up with is maybe two nice travel mugs with some goodies to add on. 

I'm just looking for a nice practical something that I could double and gift in two days for not a whole lot of money.  I also thought of maybe getting some nice blankets but they are traveling with two cats and two dogs so there is that consideration.

Anyone have any good ideas for a last minute gift I could pick up quick?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a fast gift and I don't have a gift closet!

@Laura14 - I like your idea of mugs - do you know if she drinks coffee, tea or hot chocolate? You could do a basket with different flavors/kinds of any of those items and add some different kinds of cookies and chocolate to go with.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14-

You have good ideas already!

I bet the dogs and cats would enjoy some blankets too or they could enjoy the old ones and your sil the new ones.

If you do a basket, include treats for the four-legged family members-they all will love that!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Since they are traveling, how about filling the mugs up with various kinds of mixed nuts? Great protein and good snacks which aren't messy in their camper. Imagine their meals are kind of "catch a good one when they are able to find a good place on the road" if you know what I mean. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Think animal lovers and RV travel and go from there.

Home Goods/ Marshalls/ TJ Maxx is my gift go-to. Rarely disappointed. Lots of inventory in a small space- not as big as a department store or, heaven forbid, the mall. 

Honored Contributor

Throw in a scratch off lottery ticket in the mug it just might pay for their trip.  I once found a specialty store that sold chocolate spoons and added those to Christmas coffee mugs along with other items.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Love these ideas!  Thank you!  I think I am going to borrow all of them.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I just got surpised with a birthday party for a sister (stepsister actually) on Saturday. 

I'd like to get her a little something since I never see her and she and her wife drove in their RV from Colorado to come and visit.

Anyone have a quick gift idea for her?  She is not a girly girl so the usual stuff won't work. Plus I kind of would like to include her wife in the gift if I could. 

The best I am coming up with is maybe two nice travel mugs with some goodies to add on. 

I'm just looking for a nice practical something that I could double and gift in two days for not a whole lot of money.  I also thought of maybe getting some nice blankets but they are traveling with two cats and two dogs so there is that consideration.

Anyone have any good ideas for a last minute gift I could pick up quick?  

@Laura14  Yes, your ideas are perfect-- travel mugs, blankets, and many some chocolate, nuts, tea or coffee to go with the gifts.  Just like the other posters said, a quick trip to TJ MAXX or stores like that will do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  The Lottery tickets get my vote!! Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I like the lottery tickets idea too but just tell them not to scratch in front of you.What if they win the big one...oh the agony.