Honored Contributor

Re: Need To Replace Siding--How To Get Estimates

@cherry  @riley1  @hoosieroriginal  @Meowingkitty  @esmeraldagooch  @drizzellla  @151949  @hennypenny  Thank you all so much for your excellent suggestions.  I'll write them all down and take your advice.  Henneypenny, we do have a Next Door group for our area.  I'll put the question to them, too, and maybe go look at some of their houses if they have the same type of siding.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Yes, you're right.  I need to find out about other types of siding.  This is the newest one that I've heard of, but I'm sure there are other options.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Lilysmom  Yes, you're right.  I need to find out about other types of siding.  This is the newest one that I've heard of, but I'm sure there are other options.

@NickNack, I replied to this thread because I thought I remembered some bad reviews about Hardiplank siding.  I am in Canada so perhaps it was just here that there was an issue.  I just googled and the reviews are mixed.  Please make sure you do your due diligence on any product.  Ask, google, call BBB, the whole nine yards.  It is a big job and you don't need any surprises.  There is a lot of info out there if you go looking.

Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

@cherry  Pray tell, how do you get a business' credit rating and find out if they have debt? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Lowe's does a great job on siding.

@hoosieroriginal  Everything Lowe's has done at my house has been a disaster.  They use contractors who can't make it on their own.  I use Angie's List to get workers and so far, knocking on wood, this has worked out well for me.  I believe you can use that service without joining. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624our salesman told us when he spoke about the company. We knew what kind of credit rating they had . How many offices they operated from. If a place carried a lot of debt its not a good thing

My sister had her kitchen remodeled and the contractor didn't pay his bills. They put a lien on her  kitchen cupboards

Respected Contributor

May I suggest that you get three recommendations too. Over the years, I have run into "reputable" outfits that had problems providing  just the one. Then call all three. You can sometimes tell just by the hesitancy and evasiveness that there were issues that probably didn't amoun't to a crime being commited, but left them less than happy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@NickNack, I replied to this thread because I thought I remembered some bad reviews about Hardiplank siding.  I am in Canada so perhaps it was just here that there was an issue.  I just googled and the reviews are mixed.  Please make sure you do your due diligence on any product.  Ask, google, call BBB, the whole nine yards.  It is a big job and you don't need any surprises.  There is a lot of info out there if you go looking.

Good luck!  LM

Thanks for the information @Lilysmom.  I've just started thinking about this seriously and haven't done any research yet.  I'll definitely look at reviews and other things before I make any decision.  I would hate to make that big of an investment and not be happy.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I could not agree more.  I had three ceilings painted by a local painter at a very reasonable cost.  Then when I needed a room painted I could not get the same local painter and another one was recommended.  The price was steep, but I need this done asap.  Lo and behold, the difference in the ceilings alone was unbelievable and the whole room is beautiful.  Can't compare with the other job.

Trusted Contributor

When we had new siding put on our house, we were at a loss. There are so many siding scammers out there.  Reminded me of the old movie, Tin Men. 

After sitting through a couple of "sales pitches," I tried something different. There is a house in our community that was always being updated. And it always looks so nice. So, I stopped one day and talked to the owner.  I got the name of the company she used, and I contacted them. 

The company provided me with addresses of other jobs they had done in the area, and we talked to those people as well. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"