Honored Contributor

@lentschke "Her" nasty post has been deleted but her name is remembered.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Recommendation for a Mechanic in the Southwest area of Houston, TX

I'm so sorry someone was nasty to you....that's never appropriate. It's difficult being our age and also being on your own to figure things out. I agree with others here that it's sometimes easiest to just call your car dealer (or a dealer who sells the brand of car you have). I'd also strongly suggest that Nextdoor.com for your neighborhood or local area could be extremely helpful for you since you'd be in contact with others who can make recommendations for your area of Houston. Best of luck to you.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Obviously it was my post since it has been deleted that it was deemed rude by many.  Its to bad that it was taken in that context by the OP, mods, and other posters, and for that I am sorry.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@lentschke   I don't know if you are still around but a word of advice:

Be very careful with NextDoor.  If you decide to join, keep your profile private and do not post you are a senior citizen and alone.

People will recommend Uncle Numbskull or Cousin Jughead and you have no way of knowing how legit the recommendation is or if the person(s) are actual certified mechanics. 

People will try to drum up business for a family member or friend and you have no way of knowing their qualifications.

Plus one does not have to be a member of any particular neighborhood-anybody can join in a neighborhood while living in another.

I think you are better off seeking the advice of a dealer who specializes in the type of vehicle you own.  Professionals would be safer and you can always get a second quote.

If you have AAA, ask them.

Good luck.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Do you post of your local Facebook page? You would find a recommendation there. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Thanks for posting this.  I never knew it existed.  I just tried it for my home town and it's great!  Lots of locals that do the jobs you need done but don't know who to reach out to.  

@Kachina624 wrote:

@lentschke    You might want to join the NextDoor app.  It's a board similar to this one but is local to your area.  It's a great way of knowing what's going on in your particular community.  Many people needing services or repair workers ask on NextDoor and get good recommendations from neighbors.  I use the one for my area often.  Just go to the App Store or Google Play Store and search for NextDoor. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella   NextDoor is becoming more popular but I think many people still don't know it exists.  I've used it quite a bit to find handymen and yard workers, and I've made many recommendations.  Enjoy it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Be very careful with NextDoor.  If you decide to join, keep your profile private and do not post you are a senior citizen and alone.

People will recommend Uncle Numbskull or Cousin Jughead and you have no way of knowing how legit the recommendation is or if the person(s) are actual certified mechanics. 

People will try to drum up business for a family member or friend and you have no way of knowing their qualifications.

Plus one does not have to be a member of any particular neighborhood-anybody can join in a neighborhood while living in another.

I think you are better off seeking the advice of a dealer who specializes in the type of vehicle you own.  Professionals would be safer and you can always get a second quote.

Good luck.

@Cakers3    I've used NextDoor a lot and have not had the experience you describe at all.  Most of the recommendations I see are for legitimate businesses and if there's somebody dishonest or unreliable, people don't hesitate to chime in and say so.  There's one landscaper in my area who will probably never work again as he's gotten so many bad reports. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Good luck.

@Cakers3    I've used NextDoor a lot and have not had the experience you describe at all.  Most of the recommendations I see are for legitimate businesses and if there's somebody dishonest or unreliable, people don't hesitate to chime in and say so.  There's one landscaper in my area who will probably never work again as he's gotten so many bad reports. 

@Kachina624   I have been on NextDoor, too, but we do not use it for recommendations.

My post is simply a warning to the OP to be careful.  

Your experiences are not the same for everyone else.

Nor can every participant know about every bad recommendation.

You have to be careful and my concern is that she will join and mention she is a senior citizen and alone.

It is no safer than any other social platform.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh