Contributor

Re: Need Help finding the right KN95 masks

I buy all of mine from Amazon so that I can read the reviews.  I am a teacher and am in contact with 500 young children every week so I take this seriously.  I cut the straps off of a kn95 and put it inside another one.  I then staple the edges together.  I also put a staple at the bottom so that the masks fit snuggly under my chin.  Both masks sit up off of my face and I teach in them all day!  

Super Contributor

@Kmac444 wrote:

I buy all of mine from Amazon so that I can read the reviews.  I am a teacher and am in contact with 500 young children every week so I take this seriously.  I cut the straps off of a kn95 and put it inside another one.  I then staple the edges together.  I also put a staple at the bottom so that the masks fit snuggly under my chin.  Both masks sit up off of my face and I teach in them all day!  

That's a clever idea to layer two masks, but the use of staples adds pin sized holes that defeat the air-tight coverage, does it not?

Contributor

No!  The staples are along the edges and it fits tight up against my skin the whole way around the mask.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find the list  of  masks on cdc, rather over whelming, i tried to find approved kn95 masks made in USA.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Your primary care physician is your best guide for what you need.

Wow!  There are still primary care physicians who care and can be trusted?

Super Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I buy Powecom brand KN95s. That brand has been around for a long time. They have been tested to compare their efficacy to that of NIOSH-approved N95 masks. I get mine directly from an authorized Powecom distributor so that I know I'm getting authentic masks.

bonafidemasks dot com

I want to second this.  These masks were tested and recommended by ConsumerLab and they suggested buying from Bonafide Masks dot com because there were countefeits being sold on Amazon.  I find them comfortable, too.

ETA Oops, I guess I'm the third, since @decaf uses them, too.

Consumer Lab listed all the masks that can be trusted and where they can be purchased.  Unfortunately like the previous poster said there are many fakes out there that are totally useless.  I use the Powecom KN95.  They fit good but I have very sensitive skin and I end up with skin irritation where the edge of the mask sits on my face.  I end up with lesions that take weeks to heal.  Can't wait for the day when we don't need masks anymore.  Might not be in my lifetime.

Super Contributor

@Kmac444 wrote:

I don't trust Amazon reviews.  Many reviews aren't even for the specific product reviewed.  Very obvious when reading reviews for vaccums.  Lots of reviews for the brand but not for the specific model. 

Honored Contributor

@Kmac444 wrote:

If I layered two of my KN95 masks together I wouldn't be able to breathe through them! It's bad enough with just one.

Honored Contributor

I like the 5 and 6 ply black Lutemas. Really good quality and USA made.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I find the list  of  masks on cdc, rather over whelming, i tried to find approved kn95 masks made in USA.

@goldensrbest 

If you can't find a particular brand on that CDC or FDA list, that doesn't mean the brand isn't good. There have been so many new mask manufacturers, of all grades, and so the CDC and FDA have stopped updating their approval lists. Many masks today are not placed on the approval lists b/c they can't keep up.