Honored Contributor

Re: Need Feedback on Virus Precautions

@shoesnbags, he. was. lucky!  And thank God!  In April, my cousin was told she had COVID-19 but they sent her home with medication.  Four days later, she was found dead in her house after her sister called the police to do a well being check.  A former coworker in his fifties caught the virus from his younger brother.  The brother got through it...my former coworker died about two weeks after being hospitalized.  I don't play with things I have so little control over.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Speaking for myself alone, If the Traveler comes back and immediately resumes her social activities with your group, I would, as hard as it would be, NOT attend the group for 4 weeks. Two weeks for the Traveler and 14 days more for the group she exposes herself to. (No pun intended).  It's not foolproof ( Traveler proves that) but It's what I would do.  Perhaps others in your group would choose to walk with you instead for that time just to be on the safe side.  and if the Traveler is insulted by your caution , that's her true colours coming through.   Hope your friend has a change of heart.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bannafanna, I think you can tell you have received a majority of feedback that supports you are not being too restrictive by not wanting to resume walking routines with your friend right away when she returns from her trip.

I agree with letting her know before she leaves that you will not be walking with her or having any activity with her for at least 2 weeks after she returns from her trip.  It is her decision to go and take the risk, but it is also being considerate to let her know you won't be walking with her for 2 weeks and why before she goes.  That way she knows what to expect when she gets back.

I would also not rely on a coronavirus test when she gets back unless she takes it at the end of the 2 week period after she gets back.  The incubation period for covid-19 can be 14 days.  So theoretically she could test negative on day 8 and become positive on day 9.  

So I agree with not having any contact with her until after the 2 week mark from her return.  You are right on track for making solid decisions for yourself and being smart.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
The way your friend is thinking is exactly why, and how, the virus continues to spread.

You might not change her viewpoint, but you can control your contact with her.

I couldn't agree more and THIS is the crux of the problem in this country.   Multiply this one person's attitude by thousands upon thousands with the same attitude and you have the reason why we will never beat this virus.  It seems the people who desperately insist on going about their normal lives are the very people who are preventing the return of normal life in this country.     

@RedTop

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@RedTop wrote:
The way your friend is thinking is exactly why, and how, the virus continues to spread.

You might not change her viewpoint, but you can control your contact with her.

I couldn't agree more and THIS is the crux of the problem in this country.   Multiply this one person's attitude by thousands upon thousands with the same attitude and you have the reason why we will never beat this virus.  It seems the people who desperately insist on going about their normal lives are the very people who are preventing the return of normal life in this country.     

@RedTop

@Deree 

I'd give you a thousand hearts if I could.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I'm on your side! I wouldn't want to be even social distancing with people I know had been traveling. 

Everyone has their own level of comfort with risk. I'm not even going to my son's baby shower for my first grand child, as the house will be full of many people I don't know, many of whom are doing no distancing or mask wearing unless mandated. So I'm not risking bringing sickness to my elderly mom by attending this function.

It's meant a lot of sacrifices to stand strong and distance ourselves from people who are not doing the right or the smart thing when it comes to taking risks. I won't condemn them, and I'm grateful that they let us know exactly where they stand on the issue,or what they are/aren't doing so we can make an informed choice as to who to be around. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wearing a mask, social distancing, and wash hands frequently.

If your friend does this, she minimizes risk of catching Covid-19.    Plane travel now?  I, myself,  would not fly.

But what about others?   No national mandate to wear a mask/face covering.  Too many anti-mask people in the U.S.A.   Some on this forum.

Ask yourself, is it worth the risk if  she returns back from her trip asymptomatic  and infects you or your swim friends with the deadly virus?   You could die from just one exposure to the virus.  For their safety, I would tell your friends to do the same.  Stay away.  That is a risk only for you to decide.    Especially if you and your swim friends are  60+ with or without medical issues.  High risk of dying group.

I personally would stay away fron your friends for a minimum of 14 days.  As it is  swimming together can be a risky activity during this deadly pandemic. JMO.

Wear a mask, social distancing, wash hands frequently.

Stay safe. Stay home.”

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm on your side! I wouldn't want to be even social distancing with people I know had been traveling. 

Everyone has their own level of comfort with risk. I'm not even going to my son's baby shower for my first grand child, as the house will be full of many people I don't know, many of whom are doing no distancing or mask wearing unless mandated. So I'm not risking bringing sickness to my elderly mom by attending this function.

It's meant a lot of sacrifices to stand strong and distance ourselves from people who are not doing the right or the smart thing when it comes to taking risks. I won't condemn them, and I'm grateful that they let us know exactly where they stand on the issue,or what they are/aren't doing so we can make an informed choice as to who to be around. 

Congraulations on the upcoming grandchild, @Mominohio.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio 

Isnt  your son and DIL concerned?   Have you talked to them about your concerns?What if someone at the baby shower is asymtomatic and not wearing a mask?  And, heaven forbid,  infects someone at the party with the deadly Covid-19 virus?

BTW, Congrats on your grand child to be. 👍

Stay safe. Stay home.”

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't walk with her for at least the 2 week period.

Right now, I wouldn't get on a plane for anything.  However, it wouldn't dawn on me to go get a Covid test if I traveled somewhere via car.  There are such testing problems, at least in my state, and it is taking a long time to get test results, I can't see getting a test just because I traveled out of state, unless I have symptoms.  And unless I traveled to a state that is on Ohio's travel advisory and self-quarantine was required, I wouldn't do that either. 

But again,  I wouldn't put myself in crowds of people.  If I were to go on vacay, it would have to be somewhere remote.  That is why our vacations right now are consisting of camping trips.