Respected Contributor

Need Dish Rec for Gathering This Friday

Our annual yoga class Christmas gathering is this coming Friday, Dec. 8.  Caught me a little off-guard since I wasn't in class last week when it was first announced.

Here's the catch:  I have a session with my trainer on Friday at 9 am; pet setting 10:30 - 11:30 am and the party is from 11 am - 1 pm.  I can always show up late (will mention it to my yoga teacher).  So I need something that will keep in the car for 4 hours.  TIA

(posted here for better exposure)

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Dish Rec for Gathering This Friday

If it's going to sit in the car for all that time, I think the only thing I would be comfortable bringing is either a fruit platter or a raw vegetable platter with a new, unopened bottle of ranch dressing and a bowl to pour it in once you get to where you are going.

Honored Contributor

Deviled eggs.  (We'll be in snow possibly by then) Or if you have a cooler, use that.

Honored Contributor

I would bring something that should be kept cold rather than hot - chicken salad, pasta salad, something like that. I would put it in a nicely insulated zippered carrier and put a couple of blue ice packs inside. That should do you.

Or - stop on the way and pick up a hot or cold dish already prepared from a restaurant or supermarket. 

Bring cookies or baked goods, or a loaf of fresh French bread, croissants, etc.

I had to do that for years, as I mentioned in the potluck thread, because my working hours, distance from car to office and inability to leave my desk precluded me whipping up something homemade and carrying it in.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Since it has to sit in car for 4 hours, I'd go with a bakery item.  Cookies, muffins, cupcakes, croissants.  

Respected Contributor

See the source image@pommomI love this dill dip in rye bread bowl. You can put the dip in a cooler and fix this fast when you want to fix it. This is always a big hit at a party. Make sure to keep the bread in a large zip-lock bag to keep it from getting hard.

Honored Contributor

Bakery items:  Cookies, donuts, muffins, etc.  Bring along a nice, large plate or two and arrange the goodies at the party.  That's what I do.  Always bakery items, and just about everyone runs over to have one or two.  Some take a couple home at the end of the gathering.  Enjoy!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Our annual yoga class Christmas gathering is this coming Friday, Dec. 8.  Caught me a little off-guard since I wasn't in class last week when it was first announced.

Here's the catch:  I have a session with my trainer on Friday at 9 am; pet setting 10:30 - 11:30 am and the party is from 11 am - 1 pm.  I can always show up late (will mention it to my yoga teacher).  So I need something that will keep in the car for 4 hours.  TIA

(posted here for better exposure)

I would not keep any food sitting in a car that long, except maybe some bakery items.

Why do it?  Won't there be a bakery or the like around where you park your car?  You could pick up a cake on the way from your dog and class appointments on the way to the party.  Even a Safeway would do.

Respected Contributor

If it is close by, you could do something in your crock pot and drop it off before your trainer appointment, perhaps?  

Honored Contributor

Bubbly + OJ 

Mimosa = Namaste