Respected Contributor

Re: Need Christmas Workplace Gift Suggestions

[ Edited ]

I agree with the gift card suggestion. I love scents of all kinds but my co worker can't tolerate any scent. I have to wear unscented everything when I work. She also has many food allergies.

Our boss does the wise thing and gives us Visa gift cards in a pretty wine glass or mug. Personally, I wou.d much rather have a gift card than a lotion or candy that I don't particularly like.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Ugh. Just another example of why, IMHO, gift giving in the office is inappropriate and should be banned.  In fact, when I was the boss, I did ban it. It’s awkward and uncomfortable for everyone. 

It isn't awkward and uncomfortable for everyone, just some people. 

Many years ago, my ex husband's office had a $1 gift exchange (mind you this was back in the 80's). They had such fun coming up with a $1  item that others in the office could use. 

Some things they bought/received...a box of Kleenex for their desk, a gallon of windshield washer fluid (everyone drove, and if you have ever encountered the salt on the roads during an Ohio winter, you'd get why that was a welcome little gift), wrapped candy for the candy jar on their desk (lots of people had one on their desks at this office), chap stick, and other useful things. It was kind of fun to think up something that would be useful for such a price point.

That kind of gift doesn't apply to the OP's inquiry, but it shows that some people do indeed have fun with office/workplace gift exchanges. Some places they just get out of hand.

I've always thought it should be a voluntary kind of thing, and no employee should ever be made to feel like it is mandatory. 

Honored Contributor

When I worked I often received a Christmas gift from my boss.  The items included.

A throw from Land’s End with my initials on it.  I have gifted inital throws I got from Personalization Mall, they are really nice.

An expensive pen and other nice office supplies..often engraved with my initials.

Candy, chocolate covered gourmet apples, tea. Wolferman's muffins

A ham

fruit basket

hand soap in a pump bottle with nice hand towel set

gift cards for lunch or breakfast or coffee donut shops

Trusted Contributor

This time of year you can find awsome prices on line for useful items. Macys and belks had their higher end towels about half price. A bathtowel and hand towel or even a handtowel and washcloth in white or cream would go in anyones bathroom. . 

A gift certifiate to have a car washed or detailed., or a visa gift card.

If you do not feel it would be too personal, a gift card for a salon/ spa treatment such as a mani/pedi or facial. .

A gas card for $20.

A small box of fresh fruit from florida such as hales groves.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

You seem to be doubtful about the Philosophy and since you don't want to do gift cards then I would go with a box of chocolates or a tin of cookies.  I wouldn't make myself crazy over it.

When my husband was working he always gave the women in his department chocolates, cookies and a tin of popcorn.

I agree.  Especially since they don't seem to know these women very well at all.  I would give something for sure, but I wouldn't over-think it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

In the past, this has never been a problem.  However, with today's climate, I am not sure about the gifts that DH needs to give to the three women who work in the office.

A little history:  DH's company office was closed and his home office now is in another state.  I have no idea how old the women are in the office, but they are a big help to him as he does a lot of traveling.  

It has been quite a while since he has had a secretary, even though technically they do not work for him.  When there was a local staff, I always got the office staff Philosophy shower gels and they loved them.  I did ask him if that would still be okay considering all of the allegations that we are reading about.  He assured me that this would not be a problem and that everyone knew that I bought the presents.  I usually go with the  "in doubt--don't" philosophy.

I do not want to break the bank.  I saw some Philosophy shower sets that would set me back about $60.  I also thought of the Lay N Go sets, but they are pricier, but definitely non-offensive.

Any suggestions (absolutely not doing gift cards) would be appreciated.  Thanks!

@SXMGirlI know you do not want to give gift cards but it's the safest way to go.  You could include them with a small box of gourmet chocolates.

A gift card really lets the recipient choose something she would like; people can be very polite when receiving a give they really don't like then turn around and re-gift.

Somebody may rave about Philosophy, e.g. to be polite but not like the scent.

Unless the gift cards are from Victoria's Secret I think it is the best way to go.  Local restaurants, local retail stores (not Wal-Mart LOL) or even a store such as Barnes & Noble.  B&N isn't just books.

I was just about to mention Barnes & Noble.  I give B&N gift cards all the time exactly for the reason you stated - It's not just books.  The ones that are large and have cafes really have so much more than books.  Of course there would have to be one conveniently located in order for this to be a good gift so I would check that out first.

I know the OP said she definitely doesn't want to give gift cards, but in some cases (especially paired with something else) they can really be the best gifts - especially for people we don't know well.

Respected Contributor

So many suggestions for a box of candy, and that's not something I would ever want someone to give me. It just screams "I had to get you something" IMO.  A gift card/certificate seems the safest bet for someone you don't know.