Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Medicare and Medicare Advantage

@Carmie ....thanks for the explanation.  Hats off to you for helping us all out with questions, much appreciated.

I'd love to ask you about current discussions in the news about health care but I know it's against the rules to discuss such things.....I enjoy hearing all points of view.

Honored Contributor

@conlt  I think Part F has been replaced by Part G.  I agree that this is the best option if available.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@conlt  I think Part F has been replaced by Part G.  I agree that this is the best option if available.

True, unless you live in one of the states where the doctor is not allowed to charge the Medicare B excess fee, then Plan C is the best.  And Plan C also covers the Medicare Part B deductible.  A bonus.

I think Plan H, F and C are being phased out.  If you have them, you will be grandfathered, but new apps won't be allowed.

Plans C, D F and G are the only plans that cover a skilled nursing facility at 100% for days 21 to 100.  If you don't have one of these plans you will owe 170.50 a day for these days.  This fee goes up every year and I can say, I have heard more families cry over the phone when they  heard that their loved one only had benefits for 20 days in a Skilled nursing facility covered at 100%.

Some Advantage Plan will also cover 100 days in full...you gotta check.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

like my Medicare Advantage plan. But what I have is not available every where. You need to check what is in your area. I went to a seminar at the library before deciding on mine. If they have that where you are it is a good place to start. They explain every thing & you can ask questions.

The advantage plans cover everything Medicare covers & more. It pays first & medicare second. Mine has the prescription plan included. The supplements pay after Medicare & you need to buy a separate prescription plan costing extra or pay for the Medicare one.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Well, I have strong options on Healthcare insurance in the US.  The beings that are in charge are stooges.  Some things look good on paper, like the ACA, but in reality they don't work.  

Honored Contributor

Healthcare is broken in this country and it has nothing to do with the ACA. I’ll say no more here for obvious reasons. LOL.
Honored Contributor

@CLHS68  An Advantage Plan is Medicare. When you choose this type of plan you no longer have Medicare Part A and Part B, but the Part B payment is still taken from your SS check.

Your Advantage pays first and only.  There is no secondary payment.

Most Advantage Plans do offer RX coverage and more, and they cover the same services as Traditional Medicare, but often the coverage can fall short for some services, especially if you need some type of long term care. The services could be limited.

Advantage Plans differ greatly.  Here in PA where I live, they pretty much stink.  In some states they appear to be pretty good to excellent.  You just have to do your homework.  There is no one size fits all.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@CLHS68  An Advantage Plan is Medicare. When you choose this type of plan you no longer have Medicare Part A and Part B, but the Part B payment is still taken from your SS check.

Your Advantage pays first and only.  There is no secondary payment.

Most Advantage Plans do offer RX coverage and more, and they cover the same services as Traditional Medicare, but often the coverage can fall short for some services, especially if you need some type of long term care. The services could be limited.

Advantage Plans differ greatly.  Here in PA where I live, they pretty much stink.  In some states they appear to be pretty good to excellent.  You just have to do your homework.  There is no one size fits all.

The RX Advantage plans we checked do not cover both basal and bolus insulin without thousands every month in co-pays. Many drugs are astronomical in price, so Advantage plans won't work well unless you take a generic drug or no drugs at all...

Trusted Contributor

We were just talking with our financial advisor about this yesterday.  He said it depends on how healthy you are. Medicare Advantage is great if you have no health issues, but if you have you need to get a supplement to go along with Medicare.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  you are right, the F plan paid for the Medicare yearly deductible but the G plan does not. It is still the best way to go though, I think.