Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Medical Coding Career

On 7/23/2014 focksie said:

This field interests me as well. Chrystaltree, you know so much about this, so may I ask you...if I have been a dental hygienist and to that end, took courses in anatomy, pathology, physiology, pharm course, and if I have worked in hospitals (Cardiology and Pathology Departments) in research and admin asst capacities and in doctor's offices, so my medical terminology and general medical knowledge is excellent...but then went into private industry for years... do you think I could bypass going for formal schooling? Or will employers still look for that certification from an accredited program rather than looking at my schooling and work experience?

These days certification is a requirement. Formal education is a requirement. The work is too technical and to vital to put it in the hands of people who lack the education and technical profiency to do it well. And I've been told that I know that when you watch hospital programs on tv, you never see the people who work so hard in non-clinical professions. But the work that coders and other highly skilled and educated people do is no less professional than nursing or physical therapy or radiology. Would you even think of asking if a hospital would hire you as a nurse without any nursing education, just based on your work experience ?

Super Contributor

Chrystaltree, thanks for your response. Smile

Respected Contributor

Hi Chrystaltree, I was a nurse before becoming a teacher. I have an associate degree and a bachelors degree. I plan to retire in June. Where should I start as far as schooling? I'd rather be in a classroom than online classes. I'd like to work for a hospital. Also what kind of salary can you expect to start with?

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

On 7/29/2014 starpolisher said:

Hi Chrystaltree, I was a nurse before becoming a teacher. I have an associate degree and a bachelors degree. I plan to retire in June. Where should I start as far as schooling? I'd rather be in a classroom than online classes. I'd like to work for a hospital. Also what kind of salary can you expect to start with?

Visit the AHIMA.org website, there's a section there that will give you all the accredited programs in your state. You can also do a national search for all the online programs. There many, many online programs and location doesn't matter because it's online. Since you have college degrees, you would probably want a certificate program. But, in all likelihood, you will still have to take a college level A&P course and perhaps Biology, some programs still require that. As you probably know, science courses are only transferrable for 10 years. If you still are a registered nurse that will be a HUGE advantage when it comes to getting a job. Not so much in coding education. I'd rely on AHIMA.org when it comes to programs because if you want to do hospital coding, you need an AHIMA certified coding program. Also, on the AHIMA site, you'll find a customer service number. They can answer whatever questions you have.

Respected Contributor

Thanks Chrystaltree! I'll look into it!

Starr

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran