Trusted Contributor

Need Advice on How to Handle a Neighbor Situation Please

[ Edited ]

Decided to remove my original post but wanted to thank everyone for their responses.  Have a great night.  :-)

Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice on How to Handle a Neighbor Situation Please

Gosh, I know how neighbors can drive you nuts.  The weeds can be treated with weedkiller that is liquid and there is no evidence.  In the past, we have had to kill whole shrubs that were scratching our cars.

OK, the noise.  There should be a local law re: decibels.  You can get a noise meter.  I think my husband said there is now an app???

Work with local code enorcement to handle problems.  Get to know the ordinances from the website.

I wish you the best of luck.  I have been there.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh wow Julie I fully understand how things can get very stressful. Happened to us some years ago with a neighbor who trained their dog to poo on our lawn and not theirs. I have a few questions if you do not mind answering. Do you live in a HOA? (Home Owners Association) If so there is much more you can do regarding appearances, tall weeds, tall grass, ruckus behaviors such as disturbing the peace etc. If not a HOA do you live within town limits with a noise ordianace and appearance codes? If not to both of those questions and live super rurally there is not a whole lot you can do. Are they renters or home owners? If renters there is some you can do by contacting home owner about situation. If they the neighbors are the owners and you live rurally or not in an area where there are rules, I am afraid there is not a whole lot you can do. In our situation we finally moved, we now have NO neighbors and live in middle of woods on 11 acres due to our horrible experience with neighbors. I hope you find some peace as neighbors can ruin your castle with their ignorant behaviors and habits. Not to mention detracting from your home value by being an eyesore. HOA are supposed to aleviate that problem but it did little for us. Sigh I feel bad for you.

Respected Contributor

Oh, the barking.  There are devices that look like birdhouses you can hang outside that hurt the dogs' ears when they bark.

Trusted Contributor

@Stormygirl ~ No, we do not have a HOA.  I've contacted code enforcement and they were no help.  A friend suggested I contact the health dept about the trash.  That was the best suggestion I ever got!  He came out and told me that was the worst mess he's seen in all the years he's been working there.  No one answered the door when he rang/knocked (even though they were home) so he left a violation notice on their door.  That problem was solved until recently ~ they are now throwing trash outside their door again.  No worries ~ another phone call will take care of that.  I just don't know how to handle this situation with the picket.  Something tells me we'll end up paying for the repair but I guess we'll see.  I certainly envy you living on so many acres!  I love my home and love my yard and have poured so much heart & soul (not to mention money) that I plan on going nowhere for now, lol!  Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll move??????  Ah, to dream!!!  :-) 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ahh yea good idea about the trash. Had a neighbor long time ago pile trash up for a YEAR and I ended up with a huge RAT in my house due to their garbage. I was so distraught I told my Mom and she did same as you and the health Dept came out and fined them. Then back to same behaviors. Ughhhh yea I will no longer be a victim to the crapshoot of who I get as a neighbor LOL. I know what you mean, you have poured your heart and soul into your property. And then they can get really retalitory when they find out they have been called on and they make the problem worse. Take pictures and keep a record as perhaps down the road you may have a legal case if they destruct your property or threaten you in any way. Ughhh yea the towns dont want any waves and today do very little to help. Look into your town ordiances if you live in town as if you know the laws the town is more responsive to your complaints. They know if they dont look into complaints in violation of their own laws......they may be held culpable.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Oh, the barking.  There are devices that look like birdhouses you can hang outside that hurt the dogs' ears when they bark.

These don't work.  Dogs become conditioned to it almost immediately.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I would log onto the assessor's website for your municipality and find out whose name is on the deed of that house as they could be renters.  The assessor's website will tell you who the owner of the house is and if it's not them you need to look up the phone number of the owner and plead your case.

If your bad neighbor really is the owner then check with the manager's office of your municipality this time to see if they have a neighborhood mediation program.  

HTH

Esteemed Contributor

It's a picket.  One picket!  How much can it possibly cost to replace it?  You are right.  They are not going to replace it so do yourself a favor.  Fix or replace it yourself and save yourself the angst of worrying about it.

Trusted Contributor

I appreciate all of your responses.  Tomorrow morning my husband & I plan on approaching the husband when he leaves for work.  This should be fun since we've been playing the good neighbor / bad neighbor game for almost a year now.  I realize this is not a huge deal but I don't feel we should have to fix something they broke.  I'll post again tomorrow (or I guess later today) and give an update.