Valued Contributor

Need Advice-What Would You Do?

We have a friend (more like an acquaintance) who lives completely across the country who we've only seen face to face 3 times in 20 years. She was a friend of a friend. She's a very bold, imposing woman and not really one that we would associate with on a day to day basis if she lived near us. Well, now she's coming to our area of the country on a work related trip and has invited herself to our house to spend a few days. First, she wanted to come for Thanksgiving week and we very nicely told her that wasn't going to work. Now, again, she's invited herself to come for a long weekend visit and we're trying to avoid that without seeming hurtful or blunt; but, I'm thinking with one so pushy and presuming, it's hard to get the message across without being very direct. We've told her we'll meet up with her at a location that's about midway for both of us and spend one overnight so we could visit but that's not seeming to satisfy her. What would you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice-What Would You Do?

If you let this woman make the rules now, you're setting a bad precedent for the future. I would be very firm in telling her that your house isn't set up for overnight visitors, or that you're already "booked" with other overnight guests for that weekend. I think your idea of meeting her "halfway" and staying overnight is more than reasonable. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I'd tell her I had other plans but would meet her halfway, as you originally suggested.  I don't mean to be rude but what an imposition especially at a holiday, when you probably do have your own plans. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

This is an old post from 2010. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Cut to the chase and be truthful, why drag it out?

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

LOL

I wonder whatever happened.

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@Preds, well then let's hope this person got it all worked out.. LOL

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Then I'm going out on a limb here and say that the vist already happened.  Or not.

Honored Contributor

Hey @patticakes ... Whatever happened?  Enquiring minds need to know. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

No...... Here is a list of local hotels/motels to stay at.