Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice Concerning UPS Delivery

Maybe I am reading this wrong but it sounds like the house is behind a gate. Was the gate locked so that UPS couldn't access the property? If so who thinks it is OK for UPS to just leave the package on the road beside the gate?? They either leave it at the door or message you that it was undeliverable and to contact UPS. This is where the OP might have a legitimate claim. Just trying to help not beat her up about why didn't she check her delivery address. She know that she didn't. 

Frequent Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I spoke with a supervisor with Macy's customer service dept. and once again explained the situation. I realize now that besides changing my account billing address, I also needed to change the shipping address. So, I take responsibllity for that. However,  I told the supv. that I felt Macy's should have required a signature for delivery and I wanted a replacement or a refund for my purchase. She said they couldn't do that. I am also surprised that UPS would just drop a package off at the gate by the road (a fairly busy road). Thls is a house that sits off 330 feet off the road - a good distance.  Anyone could pick that package up off the road. UPS also told me that Macy's used a third party shipper. I then said, "none the less, it is still Macy's place to request signature required for delivery".

@Sapphiregal So if I'm getting this right, Macy's sent the package to your old address because you admittedly didn't update your shipping address.  UPS delivered the package to the correct address on the label.  Seems like the only one in the wrong is you (and the person who's probably now wearing your new jewelry.) 

Every place, including Macy's, I've ever ordered from makes you verify your shipping address before purchasing.  They then send an email giving an order number and the address they are shipping to.  Once the package is shipped, or right before, they send a tracking number, again with the shipping address.  There should've been several opportunities to notice your mistake.  The blame doesn't fall on anyone but you.  I don't see how Macy's or UPS should pay.       

Respected Contributor

So let me get this right. Say you live at XYZ 5th Street behind a gate. For some resason UPS can't get in the gate so they leave your package outside of the gate on the side of the road. You think this is OK?  If they had gone to the door and left the package at the door I agree she would not have a prayer in disputing the delivery. But is sounds like just maybe she could use this tact to dispute the delivery. It seems like she knows she made a mistake and. she doesn't need people to tell her this over and over. 

Trusted Contributor

UPS says they will put the package in the mailbox? I don't think they are even allowed to do that.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

UPS says they will put the package in the mailbox? I don't think they are even allowed to do that.

I'm pretty sure they're not.

Respected Contributor

Regardless of the mistakes @Sapphiregal made, the bottom line is the UPS driver should not have left the package by a gate. The driver should have taken it back to the UPS building as undeliverable. At that point a text or e-mail would be sent notifying the person to pick it up there or it would be returned to Macy's after x amount of time.

Valued Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

Regardless of the mistakes @Sapphiregal made, the bottom line is the UPS driver should not have left the package by a gate. The driver should have taken it back to the UPS building as undeliverable. At that point a text or e-mail would be sent notifying the person to pick it up there or it would be returned to Macy's after x amount of time.

Unfortunately things are left at the drivers discretion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did the OP say she'd checked and hadn't had it sent to her current address?  I can't remember.  I ask because when we moved to this house 20 years ago I placed an order with a company using this shipping address.  New company to me so they didn't have my old address on file.  Never got it so contacted the company and they checked into it.  Said UPS delievered it to my old address for whatever reason.  Again, the shipping addy was new address; I had been getting shipments at the new addy.  Anyway, fortunately the company re-sent my order.  We had sold our house to friends so I called her and said hey, did you get a pkg for me by chance a few weeks ago?  She said yep, I just threw it on the bed in the spare room.   Good grief.  I was furious.  I said well, you need to deal with this now.  I couldn't believe it.

Trusted Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

But what if the person living there now has told the driver to just leave any packages? They wouldn't really pay attention to the name on the package and even if they did other people could live in the house with different names.

This is really the OP's mistake. The first thing at the top of the page before placing your order is your shipping address. And if she hasn't used her Macys account since she moved it seems weird to me that her billing address was even correct on the website. Calling the credit card company wasn't likley to change that honestly. You're basically calling a bank to do that not Macys so I'd guess that wasn't right either unless she manually corrected it.

Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

Unfortunately things are left at the drivers discretion.

@Warrior2022 , I agree with you. The driver chose the quick and easy way to cross the delivery off his/her load.