Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice Concerning UPS Delivery

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

Regardless of the mistakes @Sapphiregal made, the bottom line is the UPS driver should not have left the package by a gate. The driver should have taken it back to the UPS building as undeliverable. At that point a text or e-mail would be sent notifying the person to pick it up there or it would be returned to Macy's after x amount of time.

But what if the person living there now has told the driver to just leave any packages? They wouldn't really pay attention to the name on the package and even if they did other people could live in the house with different names.

This is really the OP's mistake. The first thing at the top of the page before placing your order is your shipping address. And if she hasn't used her Macys account since she moved it seems weird to me that her billing address was even correct on the website. Calling the credit card company wasn't likley to change that honestly. You're basically calling a bank to do that not Macys so I'd guess that wasn't right either unless she manually corrected it.

i agree that it was definitely her mistake. She did not check the order before she sent it. That caused the problem in addition to not requesting a "signature required" delivery. However, i still believe the UPS person is at fault to have left the package outside the gate. The UPS person took the quickest way to dump it. He/she didn't follow through which required extra time and/or paperwork. But, yes, she created the problem but it was compounded by the delivery person.

Honored Contributor

This situation is clearly the OP's fault. She admits that she didn't change her shipping address to reflect her current address. Now is complaining that UPS delivered it to a wrong address. UPS is definitely not wrong here. When I moved, every single order I placed, I was sure my delivery address on their site reflected my current address now. Expensive lesson learned here.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I spoke with a supervisor with Macy's customer service dept. and once again explained the situation. I realize now that besides changing my account billing address, I also needed to change the shipping address. So, I take responsibllity for that. However,  I told the supv. that I felt Macy's should have required a signature for delivery and I wanted a replacement or a refund for my purchase. She said they couldn't do that. I am also surprised that UPS would just drop a package off at the gate by the road (a fairly busy road). Thls is a house that sits off 330 feet off the road - a good distance.  Anyone could pick that package up off the road. UPS also told me that Macy's used a third party shipper. I then said, "none the less, it is still Macy's place to request signature required for delivery".

they delivered where they were supposed to.  Why don't you contact the people that live there now?

Bad idea.  How would that conversation go?   "Hello, two weeks ago UPS left a valuable package on your gate.  It was not addressed to you and you did not purchase it.  Did you steal my package???"   I can only imagine the response she would get!  I'm surprised that Macy's wouldn't make this right for her but it was totally, 100% the customer's fault.  Macy's is not "required" to require a signature upon delivery.  Actually, it's buyer's responsibility to verify that before making an expensive purchase.  

I never suggested she accuse anyone of stealing.  That would be a poor idea.  Well intentioned people have busy lives.

Frequent Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

Regardless of the mistakes @Sapphiregal made, the bottom line is the UPS driver should not have left the package by a gate. The driver should have taken it back to the UPS building as undeliverable. At that point a text or e-mail would be sent notifying the person to pick it up there or it would be returned to Macy's after x amount of time.

But what if the person living there now has told the driver to just leave any packages? They wouldn't really pay attention to the name on the package and even if they did other people could live in the house with different names.

This is really the OP's mistake. The first thing at the top of the page before placing your order is your shipping address. And if she hasn't used her Macys account since she moved it seems weird to me that her billing address was even correct on the website. Calling the credit card company wasn't likley to change that honestly. You're basically calling a bank to do that not Macys so I'd guess that wasn't right either unless she manually corrected it.

Exactly @pigletsmom.  My property is completely fenced with one entrance gate that for the most part stays closed since I have dogs.  I have it set with FedEx, UPS, and USPS to leave my packages on the outside of the gate because my dogs enjoy opening up packages.  None of the 3 will come onto my property unless the gate is opened.  Gates and fences have a purpose.  I'm not worried about someone stealing the packages because I check the tracking and know when they will be delivered.  I also get text messages from all 3 when a package has been delivered.  If it's something that I can't pick up in a timely manner, I get it shipped to a family member or neighbor who will be home.  In a few instances where a signature was required all 3 shippers left notice, and I went to their facility to pick up the package. 

Frequent Contributor

I am in agreement with Shepard. If you used a credit card go back to the issuing bank and dispute the charge.  The credit card company will reverse the payment to Macy's and you can be sure you will get a response from that.  Granted if you had a separate billing and shipping address before perhaps you should have thought of that but you don't work for Macy's and their customer service department should have noticed that and asked you about it.   Hope all works out for you--Karen

Trusted Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Silver Lining  yes, my point exactly!! THANK YOU! In my opinion, leaving the package on the roadside outside the closed gate is no different than just tossing the package out the window while driving down the road. Probably someone driving by stopped and picked it up. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

Macy's is where you need to go.  Talk to them and persist.  If they sent it to wrong address, it os their fault.  They have insurance.  They should reship with signature, and then they most likely will start an investigation.  I have had this happen a few times over the years..  .  I called the place I bought from, and they made it right.  One was qvc.  The company I had a little wait was a small catalogue company.  The package never  was delivered, but showed it was.  They didnt send me a new item until investigation was over.  But I wanted it , so they charged me until investigation was done.  About month later they refunded money to my card.  They said the purse was delivered by mistake to another town.  Figure that one out.  Not a town with my towns name, not a street with my streets name, but another town, another address.  Ups could actually track down where ot was delivered, although ups man had it down as being delivered to right address.  Figure that one out.Another time. I returned A 500 item to Neimans. Never arrived.  I waited over 30 daus for it to show up. Of course neimans refunded me.  They never did find the returned item. But a representative told me they were insured when I used the label.  But sometimes if it is a small item they don't even file a claim.  The rep told me chances are the item was returned, just never scanned.  With qvc I was told items are sent to wrong warehouse all the time, or not scanned in.  Sometimes qvc told me an item sent to me is not delivered, is lost, or returned to them for some odd reason.  

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I spoke with a supervisor with Macy's customer service dept. and once again explained the situation. I realize now that besides changing my account billing address, I also needed to change the shipping address. So, I take responsibllity for that. However,  I told the supv. that I felt Macy's should have required a signature for delivery and I wanted a replacement or a refund for my purchase. She said they couldn't do that. I am also surprised that UPS would just drop a package off at the gate by the road (a fairly busy road). Thls is a house that sits off 330 feet off the road - a good distance.  Anyone could pick that package up off the road. UPS also told me that Macy's used a third party shipper. I then said, "none the less, it is still Macy's place to request signature required for delivery".

they delivered where they were supposed to.  Why don't you contact the people that live there now?

Bad idea.  How would that conversation go?   "Hello, two weeks ago UPS left a valuable package on your gate.  It was not addressed to you and you did not purchase it.  Did you steal my package???"   I can only imagine the response she would get!  I'm surprised that Macy's wouldn't make this right for her but it was totally, 100% the customer's fault.  Macy's is not "required" to require a signature upon delivery.  Actually, it's buyer's responsibility to verify that before making an expensive purchase.  

I never suggested she accuse anyone of stealing.  That would be a poor idea.  Well intentioned people have busy lives.

Yes.  And I don't think it's at all difficult to say, "I think a package intended for me might have been delivered to your address".  It doesn't have to be accusatory.  

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Macy's is where you need to go.  Talk to them and persist.  If they sent it to wrong address, it os their fault.  They have insurance.  They should reship with signature, and then they most likely will start an investigation.  I have had this happen a few times over the years..  .  I called the place I bought from, and they made it right.  One was qvc.  The company I had a little wait was a small catalogue company.  The package never  was delivered, but showed it was.  They didnt send me a new item until investigation was over.  But I wanted it , so they charged me until investigation was done.  About month later they refunded money to my card.  They said the purse was delivered by mistake to another town.  Figure that one out.  Not a town with my towns name, not a street with my streets name, but another town, another address.  Ups could actually track down where ot was delivered, although ups man had it down as being delivered to right address.  Figure that one out.Another time. I returned A 500 item to Neimans. Never arrived.  I waited over 30 daus for it to show up. Of course neimans refunded me.  They never did find the returned item. But a representative told me they were insured when I used the label.  But sometimes if it is a small item they don't even file a claim.  The rep told me chances are the item was returned, just never scanned.  With qvc I was told items are sent to wrong warehouse all the time, or not scanned in.  Sometimes qvc told me an item sent to me is not delivered, is lost, or returned to them for some odd reason.  

The OP has said she didn't realize she had to change the shipping address when she moved.   Macy's delivered to the address that was on the order.  None of this is their fault.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I live in a "dream world" but I find most people are honest.

If you live close enough (or if you know their phone # - call) I'd probably be politely knocking on the door and explain your delivery dilemma -- I bet the person who lives there will tell you where/what they did with your package.. It's only been a few days since it was delivered.

You may be amazed that they didn't think of contacting Macy's or maybe your package is still sitting at their house intact.

When I moved I had the same thing happen -- I ordered something from JCP which got backordered & in the meantime I moved & package was delivered to old address.   I went to the house and the man told me they never use the front door & just realized package was out there.  

I hope this is the case for you & you get your piece of jewelry.

🤞🏻