Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice.. Cataract surgery

Just Me Too, you said "I tend to worry way to much but that is just the way I am."

In this situation I don't think you are worrying too much. This is a huge decision to have to make on your own, I think.

I am facing that surgery in the next year or two and unless my doctor says there is only one way for me to go as far as the lenses, then I will be worrying about making the right decision. I have thought about it a lot and right now I don't know what I will choose. Like you, I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Good luck and please let me know what you decided to do.

Frequent Contributor

Just Me Too, you are not worrying too much. It's an important decision. I will be making it soon and please let us know what you decide.

Regular Contributor

I had my surgery last year. The doctor asked me - would I like to see far without glasses as nd use glasses for reading. I chose this option since I was used to it. The other option was the reverse.
Esteemed Contributor

Didn,t have to wear glasses after it for about three years, but was not told what kind of lens to choose. I know Medicare paid 150 dollars toward the first pair. The surgery was the best thing I did. One eye first, then the second a month later. Opened up a whole new world to me. I almost could not see anymore. I had to stay in town when I drove. Could not read street signs, even with glasses on.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't remember what the lens is called now but it was the free one. Because my Dr. said the one you pay extra for corrects vision and my vision couldn't be corrected due to bad astigmatism.

So I still wear glasses after having cataract surgery. I need the glasses because I cant see to read without them and due to that astigmatism. But my seeing far away is much better since cataract surgery. (Although this computer screen bothers me at times).

Good luck with your surgery! I can tell you that its a piece of cake. I was so worried when I went to get it but it really was easy. The worst part is having to use all of those drops before and after surgery (for weeks).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

On 3/23/2015 tishkins said: I had my surgery last year. The doctor asked me - would I like to see far without glasses as nd use glasses for reading. I chose this option since I was used to it. The other option was the reverse.

I want the opposite - glasses for far and no glasses for reading. I have been near-sighted all my life and that is what I am used to. I will probably be having surgery in the summer.

ETA: Or if possible, no glasses for anything.

Honored Contributor

Just Me Too ... I can understand your confusion in selecting your lens implant. I had cataract surgery in January, one week apart, and was given three options: Distance Vision Correction; Near Vision Correction; and Blended Vision Correction. Mono Vision Correction was not an option.

I have worn glasses full time (first thing in morning, last thing at night) since a very early age and was happy to get rid of them. I chose Distance Vision Correction and that works well for me. It's also what my surgeon recommended based on my history. That means I can see very well at a distance but must wear reading glasses (I call them cheaters) for reading or close work. For anything closer than arm's length I use my cheaters. I can see at distances better than ever in my life and that includes not only distance but a lot of detail at distances. It's awesome!

It took me a while to get used to wearing reading glasses only. I used to take my glasses off to read (prior to cataract surgery) and now must put them on to read. So, that's a big change for me and is hard to get used to. Regarding seeing halos with distance correction, I do see some halo on car lights, especially when they are on high beam. But it's not the halo that fills the entire width of the car as it was before surgery.

Just choose your options carefully and select the one that will be best for you, in consultation with your surgeon. Just make sure you make the best choice for yourself; there is no going back once the lens implant is in.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Just Me Too .. When is your cataract surgery and have you made a decision on the implant lens you'll want after cataracts are removed? Just curious. I know this can be a difficult decision, and you have to weigh all options.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~