Honored Contributor

I have friends in NE and I feel so bad for everyone.  We have lots of flooding too but most of it isn't as bad as NE.

Respected Contributor
My prayers are going to Nebraska. My aunt and cousins live in Fremont Nebraska. That was where I was born. My mother has tried to reach my aunt
No word yet.
Honored Contributor

Recovery is beginning to occur in many places, and knowing where to turn for information on what to do next can be overwhelming. The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) website is continually updating information to answer the many questions on resources available. You can access that information at https://nema.nebraska.gov/. There are helpful documents that can answer many questions on what needs to be done. NEMA has established a hotline for questions from persons affected by the floods. You can reach that call center at 402-817-1551.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nebraska in Trouble

[ Edited ]

@Brisky  Fremont was evacuated. Most of the residents either left before the flooding hit or were taken out by the National Guard. Fortunately, the Weather Service warned all counties in Nebraska to prepare for this snowfall and rain . . . but no one anticipated the  "perfect storm" to result in such a horrible multi-state flooded area with so much damage to infrastructures, cattle, entire farms and ranches, homes and towns. Nebraska only has two casualties (I believe).

I believe people were beginning to return to Fremont, but don't know if they were able to stay in their homes.  I also don't know if they have power, safe water, gas for heat, and food yet. Only thing I am confident about is that your family is safe due to othe evacuation plan. Many shelters were set up for those who had to be evacuated. You may be able to contact the Red Cross. Hope that helps you and your mom. Sorry I'm unable to do more for you. Keeping your family in my prayers.

The Fremont, Nickerson and the lakes around those areas suffered heavy flooding damage. Highways leading in and out were destroyed. I'm so sorry. But please understand why it's taking so long to reach them.  

Donations have been going out of Lincoln and Omaha since Friday night and Saturday. I've been involved in those projects and am positive some of those trucks headed toward Fremont. They were either being airlifted into Fremont or the trucks were able to go through the water as it lowers. Keep up the hope! Nebraskans are strong, determined and resiliant people. Your family has a shocking tale to relay, I'm sure. Blessings. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Nebraska in Trouble

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady 

I hope this isn't a stupid question that I should know the answer to but why isn't there any FEMA help available to Nebraska?

Honored Contributor

FEMA spokesman Michael Cappannari said the time required for preliminary damage assessments can vary based on how many counties are affected and weather conditions. But he noted that the agency is working with Nebraska on expediting its request.

“This would not eliminate the need for PDAs once the conditions allow for it, but it could at least start federal assistance flowing to the state in terms of funding available for reimbursement as a result of damages to public infrastructure,” Cappannari said.

Nebraskans are urged to share information about the storm’s impact with their local emergency management officials so they can use it as part of the FEMA assessment process. That includes taking photographs of affected property and making detailed lists of any lost or damaged items.

3/19/19

https://www.omaha.com/news/nation/morton/ricketts-urging-trump-administration-to-expedite-a-disaster...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor
BirkiLady, Thank you for the information. Tried my cousins place and there are no answers yet. I left messages. Maybe tomorrow.
Frequent Contributor

I am sorry to hear about the devestation in Nebraska. I am in my late 50's. When I was in the third grade, the teacher asked each of us to pick a state and do a report on it.

I chose Nebraska, the "corn husk state".

I dont know why there is not more coverage, guess because its not fake!

Prayers to the people of Nebraska.  

Esteemed Contributor

@judsey  Imagine New Zealand took front page news. That was national news last week and it was horrifying. Nebraskan's were in shock; we didn't need immediate news. We needed to come together, grieve and help each other survive. Now, the news is nice as the flooding is receeding and donations and help are able to arrive. Everything works out. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I see the censor police went through and deleted a lot of posts. I have not looked at this thread for a few days, so perhaps it took a bad turn  that I am not aware of.