Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45  How sad and heartbreaking for everyone in the wake of this flooding.  Thoughts and prayers.  It is just shocking to see the devistation !!!

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Isobel ArcherBoth have said it's a disaster of huge porportions, but neither one has attempted to declare Nebraska an emergency. No attempt by either Trump or Gov. Ricketts have been mentioned for FEMA for the farmers and ranchers who have lost everything. A tweet doesn't mean anything to our citizens.

Once the Corps of Engineers released the water from the Gavins Pt. Dam in SD, the entire eastern side of Nebraska and western side of Iowa will be flooded again. So will the full length of the Missouri River to the Gulf of Mexico. Doubt any of that was mentioned in the tweet. Do they think ahead? Apparently not.  

I believe - unless things have changed since Katrina - the governor of the state must first ask for the national emergency declaration and FEMA assistance.  The Feds can't just override that - although they finally had to do just that in NO when LA's governor refused to do so.  Why isn't the governor asking for this?  And as I noted, he didn't just tweet, he called the governor to offer help.  Sorry but everything just isn't his fault.

Honored Contributor

I feel so bad for these poor people. Flooding is a horrible scary thing. 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Isobel ArcherBoth have said it's a disaster of huge porportions, but neither one has attempted to declare Nebraska an emergency. No attempt by either Trump or Gov. Ricketts have been mentioned for FEMA for the farmers and ranchers who have lost everything. A tweet doesn't mean anything to our citizens.

Once the Corps of Engineers released the water from the Gavins Pt. Dam in SD, the entire eastern side of Nebraska and western side of Iowa will be flooded again. So will the full length of the Missouri River to the Gulf of Mexico. Doubt any of that was mentioned in the tweet. Do they think ahead? Apparently not.  

I believe - unless things have changed since Katrina - the governor of the state must first ask for the national emergency declaration and FEMA assistance.  The Feds can't just override that - although they finally had to do just that in NO when LA's governor refused to do so.  Why isn't the governor asking for this?  And as I noted, he didn't just tweet, he called the governor to offer help.  Sorry but everything just isn't his fault.

@Isobel Archer 

Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts declared a statewide emergency on March 12.

https://governor.nebraska.gov/press/gov-ricketts-issues-emergency-declaration-nebraska-prepares-pote...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Isobel Archer 

Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts declared a statewide emergency on March 12.

https://governor.nebraska.gov/press/gov-ricketts-issues-emergency-declaration-nebraska-prepares-pote...

The proclamation authorizes the state to cooperate with Fed agencies.  The article says FEMA is helping.  It doesn't mention asking for a national declaration - or Fed funds.  Googling, I see where the President authorized a national disaster declaration and  Fed funds for Nebraska flooding last June - so I don't see why it would be a problem this time.

Honored Contributor

Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts said the regional director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency will be in Nebraska Tuesday to expedite federal disaster aid paperwork.

“We are going to be far over what we need to be declare that. We’ve got bridges out and levies broken, lots of roads, utilities everything,” said Ricketts.

https://www.ketv.com/article/fema-director-in-nebraska-monday/26849175

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor
I saw some devastating scenes of the flooding on the news this morning. My prayers go out to so many who have been impacted by the terrible extreme weather recently.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nebraska in Trouble

[ Edited ]

We've been on water restrictions in Lincoln. Today all car washes were closed and outside watering has been banned. Most of us have stocked up on bottled water in the event the flooding reaches the well fields which supply our water.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BadWolf   I’m certain the news pictures can’t show the full impact of Nebraska’s flooding. 

It looks like there is just nowhere to go.

I hope residents can get flood insurance with all the rivers,

Be safe,!