Trusted Contributor

As someone who was born and reared in one of the largest cities in the country, I don't view Nebraska as a flyover state. My visits there have been revelatory: the cranes in Kearney, the architecture in Lincoln, and wisdom flowing from the sage of Omaha (love Borsheims and some of my favorite jewelry was purchased from them).  Many people are concerned about Nebraska's citizens and you are valued.

I live in a liberal comunity and our local PBS station had a report about the temperature/climate and the expectation of calamitous weather.  It offers a daily farm report and covered the flooding, snow, and cold in detail and their effects on agricultural/animal husbandry.  The farmer from whom we purchase meats included this discussion in his monthly newsletter. Nebraska is an important part of the country and I hope that its citizens receive federal support.

Honored Contributor

The devastation has been all over CBS, NBC, ABC and local news stations in New York. The first thing I thought of was John Hckynut and I checked to see if he had posted. He had but I hope he and all Nebraskans stay safe during this most difficult time...

Honored Contributor

DH and I are lucky living near the Lincoln Airport. Other than running a few errands over the past few days the only problems DH and I have come across were just massive potholes on most major roads.

Prayers for all those in effected areas.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the positive comments.  I believe my cabin finally got hit tonight.  Will not know positively until the next few days.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Nebraska in Trouble

[ Edited ]

We are from eastern Nebraska and still have family and friends there. We have heard that 1/3 of Norfolk had to be evacuated. We have seen footage in addition to aerial footage. Cattle are stranded on little pieces of land, crowded together. It’s all simply unbelievable. 

Honored Contributor

@BadWolf 

We too live in that state, but only about 4 miles east to the Iowa border. Where we live our whole city would have to be under water before it got to where we live.

It was pretty much a given with the last 12"+ of snow, and then torrential rains for a few days a week later. Warmed up/snow melting, throw in all that rain? 

We are fortunate as Iowa side is flooding lands and roads as it is doing in western part of our state. This is nothing new, I have seen it many times going back to the 1940's and The Mighty Mo. Hoping for the best for all the effected Nebraskans and Iowegens.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for you and all in your beautiful state. I have been to Nebraska a few times to see family. I always enjoyed it. They live close to Friend. I always loved the name of that town.

Honored Contributor

Prayers for Nebraska.....

Image result for nebraska state flag

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@BadWolf  Thanks @BadWolf for mentioning the plight of the hidden gem, Nebraska. I also live in Nebraska. Today a friend and I drove from Lincoln to Omaha (across the Platte River). Heartbreaking. We took supplies needed (from a list posted last night) and checks for the people living in shelters. It's encouraging to see so many helping each other in times of crisis. Nebraskan's always rescue each other. We're tough; we're strong; we're survivors. Not sure about the infrastructures across the state . . . in my 71 years, I've never seen such distruction. Tornados are calm in comparison to this weeks' flooding.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

E1CCD552-7368-40D2-B042-24B9C0BDC0BB.jpegD8AAD41D-CF3C-4873-8341-BB12BCB28EB2.jpeg