Honored Contributor

Re: Nearly 1/3 FL Children Tested For Covid Are Positive

@Zaimee wrote:

And, according to various news sites, these numbers will not be released soon as the HHS will be taking over. Accurate, inaccurate, I want to be the judge and make decisions for myself and family accordingly.

@Zaimee   If we get numbers at all they will be made up. “It is gone! See, I was right!” 

Esteemed Contributor

Family friend in medical profession explained this to us -- Just as chicken pox can trigger shingles decades later -- we don't know what this virus is capable of. Whenever loss of taste or smell is involved, that is neurological damage. Also lungs could be affected for those surviving covid19 with with rough recoveries. Children are precious -- and active and all over the place. They can pass this virus along so easily.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

@Nancy Drew  ....  You tried. That is all you can do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Nancy Drew  .....  Let me make myself plain. I am not asking this to be "snarky" but did you not post this same post on another thread? 

Hopefully it eases some fears better here than it did on the other thread!

@Sheila P-Burg Yes I posted it twice. Tried to put things in perspective. I don't know if I was successful tho. 

Perspective, even basic common sense are in short supply these days.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

What about this report:

Hundreds of labs in Florida reported to the state that 100 percent of people they tested for Covid-19 had the virus, according to a new investigation by FOX 35 News. Other testing centers reported positivity rates upwards of 80 and 90 percent. In actuality, the positivity rates for most testing centers were often under 10 percent and usually under 20 percent.

When FOX 35 contacted the labs with high positivity rates, several labs confirmed that the numbers were wildly inaccurate. Orlando Health, for example, had reported a 98 percent positivity rate, but confirmed to reporters that their positivity rate is actually 9.4 percent.

Over 200 testing centers in Florida reported 100 percent positivity rates. In most cases, the testing centers completely failed to include the number of negative test results. The Florida Department of Health told FOX 35 that labs are required to send this information, but that not all have. While some of the labs that failed to report negative cases were small centers testing only a handful of patients, others were reporting hundreds of positive cases with no inclusion of negative tests.

The labs that simply neglected to report negative cases also weren’t the only ones with unrealistically high rates of positive cases. Hendry Regional Medical Center reported 164 positive tests and only two negative ones, for a positivity rate of 99 percent. FOX 35 reporters contacted the Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which had reported that 76 percent of cases were positive, and were told that the actual positivity rate was only six percent.

This is biased and agenda driven. The report itself was wrong, not the lab results. I clicked on the link in the story. You neglected to include this part of the story:

"The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

MORE NEWS: Florida has largest single-day jump in COVID-19 deaths yet, with 132 more reported

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and thatthe positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent."

Claiming that the testing labs are corruptly sharing wrong numbers is how misinformation starts and spreads. Whoever sent you this is part of a misinformation echo chamber and you just added to it. I would ask that you avoid sharing fake misinformation that has to be debunked. This is not Facebook.

I never said they were corrupt, they got the numbers wrong.  You are not the judge, jury and resident expert here of what we can post.  If it does not fit your narrative, of course it is misinformation.  

So you're saying no to my request. That's your choice. I am the judge, jury, and resident expert of my opinions only, not anyone else's. But I'll have to say no to holding back my opinion that it is clear that the story you provided was a misrepresentation in an attempt to smear an innocent party in order to further a dangerous agenda. That would go against my values. Hopefully we can agree on something else in the future.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

134,572 dead with no end in sight is not the least bit reassuring. Quite the opposite. Hard to imagine who would find that a cause for relief.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

So a third of how many children were tested?    That would be an important part of the stats.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Red Top:

We know of someone who used to take her 5 year old grandson grocery shopping.

(She didn't have to, as there were family members at home, able to watch the child.)

She wore a mask, but the child had no face coverings.

I don't know if she is still doing this.

At that time, a couple of months ago, she told her family member that 'children don't get the virus', etc., etc.  

Well, wishing the youngsters (and all of us)  good luck and good health.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

What about this report:

Hundreds of labs in Florida reported to the state that 100 percent of people they tested for Covid-19 had the virus, according to a new investigation by FOX 35 News. Other testing centers reported positivity rates upwards of 80 and 90 percent. In actuality, the positivity rates for most testing centers were often under 10 percent and usually under 20 percent.

When FOX 35 contacted the labs with high positivity rates, several labs confirmed that the numbers were wildly inaccurate. Orlando Health, for example, had reported a 98 percent positivity rate, but confirmed to reporters that their positivity rate is actually 9.4 percent.

Over 200 testing centers in Florida reported 100 percent positivity rates. In most cases, the testing centers completely failed to include the number of negative test results. The Florida Department of Health told FOX 35 that labs are required to send this information, but that not all have. While some of the labs that failed to report negative cases were small centers testing only a handful of patients, others were reporting hundreds of positive cases with no inclusion of negative tests.

The labs that simply neglected to report negative cases also weren’t the only ones with unrealistically high rates of positive cases. Hendry Regional Medical Center reported 164 positive tests and only two negative ones, for a positivity rate of 99 percent. FOX 35 reporters contacted the Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which had reported that 76 percent of cases were positive, and were told that the actual positivity rate was only six percent.

This is biased and agenda driven. The report itself was wrong, not the lab results. I clicked on the link in the story. You neglected to include this part of the story:

"The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

MORE NEWS: Florida has largest single-day jump in COVID-19 deaths yet, with 132 more reported

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and thatthe positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent."

Claiming that the testing labs are corruptly sharing wrong numbers is how misinformation starts and spreads. Whoever sent you this is part of a misinformation echo chamber and you just added to it. I would ask that you avoid sharing fake misinformation that has to be debunked. This is not Facebook.

I never said they were corrupt, they got the numbers wrong.  You are not the judge, jury and resident expert here of what we can post.  If it does not fit your narrative, of course it is misinformation.  

But by leaving out the end of the article, you made it sound like the labs deliberately reported wrong numbers. That was not the case, hence the "misinformation." (Leaving out information = misinformation.)

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

So a third of how many children were tested?    That would be an important part of the stats.

It tells you in the original post here how many were tested to get that 31%

or 1/3 of children positive. See original post.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"