Honored Contributor

Re: Nearly 1/3 FL Children Tested For Covid Are Positive

@hckynut 

I agree that the release is poorly worded.

I think the message was the unexpected number of children who are testing positive maybe along with concern about school opening.

Then it morphed to concern that doctors have found neurological, lung, and clotting damages during and post recovery in other patients, maybe it meant they were worried about these additional symptoms it in these young patients too.  Do these other issues go away, stay forever, get worse, who knows?  Also several patients have had relapses.  

Whatever, wherever, it is a shame that we have lost so many lives.

I feel we could have done better.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@hckynut  Maybe if we really sheltered In place we would not be in this position today.

You are fortunate that you can isolate and continue your life and do not live in a so called hot spot. I,too, am lucky that I retired last June. I taught in the main news city...Miami-Dade, Florida. I can turn off the news, but this virus is out there.

I follow guidelines and shelter in place but I do need to leave my house at times.I  have a  teachers friend suffering for 3 weeks now. And, I am very concerned about my son and DIL and 3 grand girls. The camp the oldest was to go to had 3 outbreaks of many children and counselors over 3  weeks and had to close. I have not seen them.

We are learning about this as we go, and we need to be flexible and change plans to fit circumstances, like not opening schools everywhere.

Many decisions will be right, some will be wrong. Ultimately, this will affect all of us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this fall and winter will be quite bad , with this virus,our country  did not do what some European countries did ,a total lock down, they were opened up again,and do not have the problems some states are having.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The Good News 

From the CDC July 12

United States Population 330,917,584 ( million)

Total Covid Cases 3,236,130

Total Deaths 134,572

Less than 1 % of Americans have caught Covid

Current Survival Rate 99.96 % of the Us population. 
Hopes this eases some fears.

@Nancy Drew, here is a link to that CDC page so that posters can see the data as of today. And the data doesn't change either my concern or my approach one bit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

What about this report:

Hundreds of labs in Florida reported to the state that 100 percent of people they tested for Covid-19 had the virus, according to a new investigation by FOX 35 News. Other testing centers reported positivity rates upwards of 80 and 90 percent. In actuality, the positivity rates for most testing centers were often under 10 percent and usually under 20 percent.

When FOX 35 contacted the labs with high positivity rates, several labs confirmed that the numbers were wildly inaccurate. Orlando Health, for example, had reported a 98 percent positivity rate, but confirmed to reporters that their positivity rate is actually 9.4 percent.

Over 200 testing centers in Florida reported 100 percent positivity rates. In most cases, the testing centers completely failed to include the number of negative test results. The Florida Department of Health told FOX 35 that labs are required to send this information, but that not all have. While some of the labs that failed to report negative cases were small centers testing only a handful of patients, others were reporting hundreds of positive cases with no inclusion of negative tests.

The labs that simply neglected to report negative cases also weren’t the only ones with unrealistically high rates of positive cases. Hendry Regional Medical Center reported 164 positive tests and only two negative ones, for a positivity rate of 99 percent. FOX 35 reporters contacted the Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which had reported that 76 percent of cases were positive, and were told that the actual positivity rate was only six percent.

This is biased and agenda driven. The report itself was wrong, not the lab results. I clicked on the link in the story. You neglected to include this part of the story:

"The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

MORE NEWS: Florida has largest single-day jump in COVID-19 deaths yet, with 132 more reported

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and thatthe positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent."

Claiming that the testing labs are corruptly sharing wrong numbers is how misinformation starts and spreads. Whoever sent you this is part of a misinformation echo chamber and you just added to it. I would ask that you avoid sharing fake misinformation that has to be debunked. This is not Facebook.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The Good News 

From the CDC July 12

United States Population 330,917,584 ( million)

Total Covid Cases 3,236,130

Total Deaths 134,572

Less than 1 % of Americans have caught Covid

Current Survival Rate 99.96 % of the Us population. 

Hopes this eases some fears.

@Nancy Drew, here is a link to that CDC page so that posters can see the data as of today. And the data doesn't change either my concern or my approach one bit.

Thank you for today's information so we can all access our concern and approach.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Zaimee,  I agree. 

We do not know how having CoVid will affect those children in the future. 

Their illness will surely affect elder relatives including parents and grandparents.  Some of the children with Covid have developed blood clotting abnormalities that have been rare in kids.

Trusted Contributor

@Nancy Drew  .....  Let me make myself plain. I am not asking this to be "snarky" but did you not post this same post on another thread? 

Hopefully it eases some fears better here than it did on the other thread!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Nancy Drew  .....  Let me make myself plain. I am not asking this to be "snarky" but did you not post this same post on another thread? 

Hopefully it eases some fears better here than it did on the other thread!

@Sheila P-Burg Yes I posted it twice. Tried to put things in perspective. I don't know if I was successful tho. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

What about this report:

Hundreds of labs in Florida reported to the state that 100 percent of people they tested for Covid-19 had the virus, according to a new investigation by FOX 35 News. Other testing centers reported positivity rates upwards of 80 and 90 percent. In actuality, the positivity rates for most testing centers were often under 10 percent and usually under 20 percent.

When FOX 35 contacted the labs with high positivity rates, several labs confirmed that the numbers were wildly inaccurate. Orlando Health, for example, had reported a 98 percent positivity rate, but confirmed to reporters that their positivity rate is actually 9.4 percent.

Over 200 testing centers in Florida reported 100 percent positivity rates. In most cases, the testing centers completely failed to include the number of negative test results. The Florida Department of Health told FOX 35 that labs are required to send this information, but that not all have. While some of the labs that failed to report negative cases were small centers testing only a handful of patients, others were reporting hundreds of positive cases with no inclusion of negative tests.

The labs that simply neglected to report negative cases also weren’t the only ones with unrealistically high rates of positive cases. Hendry Regional Medical Center reported 164 positive tests and only two negative ones, for a positivity rate of 99 percent. FOX 35 reporters contacted the Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which had reported that 76 percent of cases were positive, and were told that the actual positivity rate was only six percent.

This is biased and agenda driven. The report itself was wrong, not the lab results. I clicked on the link in the story. You neglected to include this part of the story:

"The report showed that Orlando Health had a 98 percent positivity rate. However, when FOX 35 News contacted the hospital, they confirmed errors in the report. Orlando Health's positivity rate is only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

MORE NEWS: Florida has largest single-day jump in COVID-19 deaths yet, with 132 more reported

The report also showed that the Orlando Veteran’s Medical Center had a positivity rate of 76 percent. A spokesperson for the VA told FOX 35 News on Tuesday that this does not reflect their numbers and thatthe positivity rate for the center is actually 6 percent."

Claiming that the testing labs are corruptly sharing wrong numbers is how misinformation starts and spreads. Whoever sent you this is part of a misinformation echo chamber and you just added to it. I would ask that you avoid sharing fake misinformation that has to be debunked. This is not Facebook.

I never said they were corrupt, they got the numbers wrong.  You are not the judge, jury and resident expert here of what we can post.  If it does not fit your narrative, of course it is misinformation.