Honored Contributor

Re: Naval Flashlight Vigil on USS George H W Bush

Same, @cimeranrose!

Honored Contributor

I've been distracted.  I wonder if we'll be shown the "missing man formation"?  That hasn't happened yet, right?

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  i didn't see the end of the funeral - wondering if flyover might be over the burial .  watching Train 4141 now - so gratified to see people out saluting, with flags.  glad the car with the casket and the honor guard has a plexiglass window.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, thank you, @ms traditional-- it probably was scheduled to go over the private burial. 

All in all, very satisfactory, very elegant send-off, as the U.S. always seems to be able to do for its leaders throughout history.  I also like the "ceremonial train" aspect, so that the people can see and pay respects.  Reminds me of the dignified send-offs after the losses of Presidents Lincoln and Kennedy, under very different circumstances, of course.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   i agree.

i just heard it confirmed that the missing man formation is happening at the burial.  the plane is painted with the name of President Bush - and Mrs. Bush as well.

i understand the train will arrive about an hour from now. it must be a thrill to be by the side of the tracks and see a U S president and his family pass by.  i remember seeing pictures of FDR's funeral train.   footsteps of history before our eyes.

Respected Contributor

Last night they showed the naval flashlight vigil forming ans it was amazing to see all these people get in formation for this.

doxie