Respected Contributor

Re: Navagating your way into Medicare Part B

@Mindy D wrote:

@ItsME wrote:

gemcd, I have one question. If you take the supplement and pay the $239 monthly premium does Medicare still deduct an additional $140 a month, for having Part B, from your Social Security?

This would add up to $379 a month in premiums without counting in the drug premium for part D. Is the $2100 your TOTAL annual out of pocket expense? So the cost of premiums would be $4548 and the AOP before treatments are covered would be $2100, equaling $6648 for your annual coverage not counting Part D premiums. Whew, that’s steep to me.

@Mindy D   ....@itsme here.  The Medicare Part B and the Supplement are separate.  At $239 for the Supplement, there is NO dedudtible.  I took the regular supplement, so it's $135 for Part B plus $239 for the Supplement.   Total is $374/month, excluding the the drug plan.

There is a lower cost Hi-Deductible Supplement that costs maybe $80 per month.  That is where the $2,100 copay comes in to play.  

Then, in addition to Part B and the Supplement, there is Part D --- the drug plan.  These are avaiable at many price points.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Navagating your way into Medicare Part B

@gellen wrote:

Good evening:  I currently have health insurance through my employer, which I use, and Mecicare as I am over 65.  I will be working fewer hours next year as a teacher and will be losing my employer health care.  I need to figure out how to learn about and apply for Medicare part B.  If you have this, did you go to a special consultant?  I find it all so confusing and am totally overwhelmed.  Thanks for any advice regarding your experiences. 

You are already on Medicare, probably Part A only (no premium).   Contact Medicare & tell them your situation.    They will sign you up for Part B, but there is a premium.   

START HERE   < use this link