Honored Contributor

Re: National Vietnam War Veterans Day

While we can never do enough to show gratitude to our nation's defenders, we can always do a little more.- Gary Sinise

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Today we say thank you for your service to your country.

Back then those were not the words which were said to coming home vets. They not only suffered the affects and effects of the war but the unkindness of a nation.

So many vets are homeless.

Hate the war but not the warrior.

Honored Contributor

😢not enough thank yous in this life we can give to them for all that they have given.

Thank you s, and so sorry they ever had to go through it at all, including all the men and women, young almost men and women that fought in wars.

Here is a free site you can click on every day to give to veterans (don't even need to sign up for anything)

theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com

There you will find all kinds of clicks from animals to veterans to breast cancer.

I have never had any problems with this site in terms of spam or viruses.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was married to a man who almost didn't survive Viet Nam. He was a Medivac pilot. The helicopter he was flying was shot down when he and his crew were landing to rescue wounded soldiers. In addition to other injuries his back was broken. He eventually recovered but our marriage did not survive. He is a wonderful man. We are still very close friends.

Respected Contributor

Thank you to all the Vietnam War veterans, living or deceased, who gave so much for our country.  Thinking about it still makes me very emotional.    Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining : My husband did two tours (years) in Vietnam. 

It was always hard when he returned because he had problems that now would be considered stress related. 

He had panic attacks, was afraid of snakes and always checked his shoes. Loud noises made him jump.

Then he got lung cancer from agent orange. He only lived a year after the diagnosis. 

Our marriage lasted 40 years but he was a changed person after the first tour.

Honored Contributor

My uncles, my friends, my BIL, and so many I've known  or know of.  Thank You!  There is no way to express what I feel for them, but I'm proud of every one. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Daddy served on the Draft Board during the Vietman War. They would get calls during the middle of the night about getting an exemption. It was a terrible time for my folks.

My husband received an unsolicited offer for a medical deferrment from a doctor that was a personal friend of the family.  He politely refused the offer.

I thank our lucky stars that we have so many veterans that gave so much.  And to those that came back and have worked hard to work on making things better for future generations of veterans. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *